2015 NLDS: Mets vs. Dodgers

OFFNY

Wasn't Utley originally called out though? If they had it originally called correctly he wouldn't have been called out or safe. He left the field following the umpire's decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the ball had not been called dead would Tejada have been able to apply a tag?

Certainly.

There is no scenario where Utley would have been safe at second.

Even if the Umps refused to call interference.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the ball had not been called dead would Tejada have been able to apply a tag?

Certainly.

There is no scenario where Utley would have been safe at second.

Even if the Umps refused to call interference.

This seems to be a relevant rule, although in this case they only reference it in regards to a play at the plate. Not sure if that matters.

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Section F or elsewhere in these Regulations, in accordance with Official Baseball Rule 8.02© (formerly Rule 9.02©), when reviewing a play at home plate, if the Replay Official determines both that the runner did not touch home plate and that the fielder did not tag the runner (or, in the case of a force play, did not touch home plate), the Replay Official shall rule the runner "safe" at home plate unless the defensive Manager appeals the failure of the runner to touch home plate prior to the Crew Chief making contact with the Replay Official.

Example. A runner attempts to score on a play at the plate. The catcher misses the tag on the runner, and the runner fails to touch home plate, but the umpire calls a tag and the runner "out." The offensive manager challenges the call, and the Replay Official determines that the catcher missed the tag. The Replay Official shall disregard the failure of the runner to touch home plate, declare the runner "safe" and score the run.

http://m.mlb.com/official_rules/replay_review

o

With the Mets reeling from their loss to the Dodgers in Game Two (minus a shortstop, got screwed on the call which may have cost them the game), Matt Harvey has his chance.

With all of the happenings that have occurred over the last 30 days (Harvey's "180 innings" proclamation, his missing a practice, and Chase Utley's takeout of Tejada), the pressure could not be on him any more than it is ...... but is largely his own fault. The Utley-Tejada incident along with the L in Game Two just adds to it (the pressure on Harvey.)

Mets' Matt Harvey Has a Chance in NLDS Game 3 to Right the Ship after Chase Utley Controversy

(By John Harper)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/harper-nlds-game-3-mets-harvey-wrong-article-1.2393573

o

GAME THREE

LOS ANGELES DODGERS

Howie Kendrick - 2B

Jimmy Rollins - SS

Adrian Gonzalez - 1B

Justin Turner - 3B

Andre Ethier - RF

Carl "I Once Got Hit in the Balls with a Pick-off Throw Against the Orioles" Crawford - LF

Yasmani Grandal - C

Enrique Hernandez - CF

Brett Franklin Andesron - LHP (10-9, 3.69 ERA)

NEW YORK METS

Curtis Granderson - RF

David Wright - 3B

Daniel Murphy - 2B

Yoenis Cespedes - CF

Lucas Duda - 1B

Travis d'Arnaud - C

Wilmer Flores - SS

Juan Lagares - CF

Mathew Edward Harvey - RHP (13-8, 2.71 ERA) *

* Led the National League in putting his foot in his mouth.

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

For the record I wouldn't suspend Utley.

Does anyone think he would be suspended if Tejada hadn't been injured?

You have to punish the act, not the result of the act.

I agree.

MLB's decision to suspend Utley is an overreaction to Tejada's injury.

I may be reaching here, but I suspect that the fact that the umpires called Utley safe and sent him back onto the field to score the eventual go-ahead run factored into their decision.

I'm not necessarily saying that it should have, but I do believe that that is what made so many people (outside of Dodger fans) so infuriated over it all. It was a pivotal play (and subsequently, a crucial call) in an extremely high-stakes game.

More significantly than whether or not Utley's suspension holds up, if this acts as the catalyst for MLB to revisit this issue (BOTH the safety issue AND the fairness issue of awarding a runner a base that he has no business being awarded) in the off-season, then at least something good will have come out of it.

I may be reaching here, but I suspect that the fact that the umpires called Utley safe and sent him back onto the field to score the eventual go-ahead run factored into their decision.

I'm not necessarily saying that it should have, but I do believe that that is what made so many people (outside of Dodger fans) so infuriated over it all. It was a pivotal play (and subsequently, a crucial call) in an extremely high-stakes game.

More significantly than whether or not Utley's suspension holds up, if this acts as the catalyst for MLB to revisit this issue (BOTH the safety issue AND the fairness issue of awarding a runner a base that he has no business being awarded) in the off-season, then at least something good will have come out of it.

I think that I read that they are already planning a change in the AFL.

For the record I wouldn't suspend Utley.

Does anyone think he would be suspended if Tejada hadn't been injured?

You have to punish the act, not the result of the act.

Doesn't matter what the result, his intent was nothing but bad. I've watched it over and over and he made contact with the ground after he was past the bag.

The powers that be were idiotic when crafting the rule at the plate and not looking to change how MIF are more at risk than catchers.

So, yes punish the act, but how? Hard to do when the current rule endorses this type of play. Hypocritical of MLB to say they're trying to protect one position on the field while not protecting another.

Cal gave a long explanation of why he felt the slide was essentially just baseball as its played within the current rules. He seemed to imply he and Billy are at odds on this. Interesting since both had been middle infielders. He said he's open to a rule change, but not sure what the change would be. He said he "didn't understand the suspension. " He did agree the slide was late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get to see a little bit of these late games and what do I get? 11-4. 13-4 now. :P

The Dodgers kicked a field goal with a little over a minute left to play to cut it to 13-7.

Their ensuing onside kick failed, and the Mets took 2 knees to run the clock out.

The 2 timeouts that the Dodgers used earlier in the game came back to burn them.

Archived