Bill James Question and Answer Session on Freakonomics

DrungoHazewood

I think right now the hardest thing about fielding metrics is that we have a Beta vs VHS battle going on. There are about four or five different data sources and none of them agree on hit ball location. Maybe someone in a proprietary sense knows which one is the most accurate, but it seems to me that if we have issues of where a ball is hit (these systems are typically in disagreement to the extent of about 10 feet) then we will not have consistent metrics. Some argue that resolution does not need to be that great, but some systems disagree to the extent that seeing a difference of 20 feet is pretty common. It is true where we are now is light years beyond where we were in the 80s. The problem is that I just haven't seen a great drive toward standardization of raw data. I have no clue which system is the best or if they are all equally flawed.

It would probably be better if our android wives rebelled, enslaved us, and forced a standardization of fielding metrics.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/04/03/wb-clemente-vs-kaline-bill-james-version/

Every time I read Bill James, I'm reminded why I always want to read more Bill James :P

And, by the way, can a person who is not born yet be said to be “prehumous”? Or should “prehumous” mean “not dead yet”? What exactly is humous? Can your humous be in the offing? Is offing your humous a felony, or merely something that will grow hair on your palms?

You guys are huge nerds!!!! :D

And I mean that as a massive compliment. The amount of time some of you guys spend reading, calculating, thinking, etc... about this sport, in order to understand it as well as you possibly can, is extremely impressive. Frobby did a paper in college? Wow

You guys rock, kudos

My only question is "how do you simultaneously support yourselves via gainful employment, spend this much time reading about the game, this much time watching the game, and have a life (avoid getting divorced :D)?"

I know personally that we "last longer" when we are randomly thinking about baseball stats during the act. Kind of keeps the wives happy and shows our ability to multi-task.

My only question is "how do you simultaneously support yourselves via gainful employment, spend this much time reading about the game, this much time watching the game, and have a life (avoid getting divorced :D)?"

I'm an insomniac, that's how! :P

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/04/03/wb-clemente-vs-kaline-bill-james-version/

Every time I read Bill James, I'm reminded why I always want to read more Bill James :P

He is a very good writer, but sadly his newer research is looking more and more off-kilter. He owns up to the fact that he doesn't look at any other research being done out there, which is either arrogance or laziness. He did a lot for the field and he still has lots to offer, but he isn't leading the field anymore. He hasn't for almost a decade.

He is a very good writer, but sadly his newer research is looking more and more off-kilter. He owns up to the fact that he doesn't look at any other research being done out there, which is either arrogance or laziness. He did a lot for the field and he still has lots to offer, but he isn't leading the field anymore. He hasn't for almost a decade.

It's hard to stay ahead of your followers... they're younger and they keep gaining ;-)

He's wrong about D (which he admitted) but he still invented an entire field. He deserves a statue. When does he get into the HOF?

It's hard to stay ahead of your followers... they're younger and they keep gaining ;-)

He's wrong about D (which he admitted) but he still invented an entire field. He deserves a statue. When does he get into the HOF?

I agree for the most part. I also think he invented the name, not the research. What he did, people were doing it before. James was the flagship. He is now almost a statue.

I agree for the most part. I also think he invented the name, not the research. What he did, people were doing it before.

Sure, but it's always like that. Henry Ford didn't invent the car... but in terms of having the car affect everyday normal people, he deserves all the credit he got. Same kind of thing...

Archived