Is Jones endorsing an OF of Parra, Jones, Alvarez?

wildcard

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we need a discussion on Parra.

Parra is not a replacement level player. Platoon player probably but not a replacement level player.

I looked at Parra's last three years. Here are his averages for 2013-2015.

559 AB, 75 R, 153 H, 11 HR, 46 RBI, 11 SB, 274/320/418/738

Splits

Right 433 AB, 64 R, 126 H, 10 HR, 38 RBI, 291/329/448/777*

Left 126 AB, 11 R, 27 H, 1 HR, 9 RBI, 0 SB, 214/293/279/572*

79% of Parra's at bats over the last three year have been versus right handed pitching. A .291 average and a .777 OPS is not replacement level.

Parra does not lefties. Its pretty clear.

So are the O's likely to overpay for Parra as platoon player? Yes, but then again the vast majority of the FAs will be overpaid. That is the nature of free agency.

I can see the O's signing Parra for his 777 OPS vs righties.

Parra did not hit for the O's for the last two months because he was not familiar with the pitchers in the AL. More at bats versus AL pitchers should fix that.

As far as Parra's defense. I doesn't think he should backup center. But he has enough range for either corner from what I saw. He doesn't hit the cut off man but Kirby and Buck should fix that in ST.

* These averages are not completely accurate. I just added the last three year averages together and divided by three. I didn't calculate them. If anything these averages are a little low because 2014 was Parra worst year and I weighted it the same as the other year were he batted more times.

Lets.

His bat is erratic and his fielding is declining at a rate that has Drungo fumbling looking for comps.

The bolded is nonsense.

He didn't hit because his BABIP with the Brewers was unsustainable. You have no evidence that his unfamiliarity with American League pitching was a contributing factor.

As for coaching him up? You don't think the other teams have tried that? What makes you think Kirby has something all his other coaches have lacked?

For his career he is a below average hitter. You combine that with poor defense from a CO outfield position and you are looking at someone that might very well be replacement level in any given season.

"Kirby and Buck should fix that in ST."

What would make you think that those two particular coaches could heal an issue, if there is one, in a 29 year old player?

Because neither Buck nor Kirby will put up with the game being played any way but right. Parra will be doing drills until they come out his ears until he gets it right. And if he makes the mistake again he will be doing more drills. And on top on that Jones will be the enforcer.

Because neither Buck nor Kirby will put up with the game being played any way but right. Parra will be doing drills until they come out his ears until he gets it right. And if he makes the mistake again he will be doing more drills. And on top on that Jones will be the enforcer.

So his old coaches didn't mind?

I believe they are both great guys. I believe that if we sign a FA for three years, he will play no matter how much practice he puts in on anything.

How did Boston's outfield coach do with HanRam?

I believe that we all get these visualizations of what major league life may be like. I think that we would be shocked to see how different from Jim Hunter's view of life that it might be.

Lets.

His bat is erratic and his fielding is declining at a rate that has Drungo fumbling looking for comps.

The bolded is nonsense.

He didn't hit because his BABIP with the Brewers was unsustainable. You have no evidence that his unfamiliarity with American League pitching was a contributing factor.

As for coaching him up? You don't think the other teams have tried that? What makes you think Kirby has something all his other coaches have lacked?

For his career he is a below average hitter. You combine that with poor defense from a CO outfield position and you are looking at someone that might very well be replacement level in any given season.

Parra career averages vs righthanders in 289/335/432/767 in 2607 at bat. That in not replacement level.

Has far as his defense, I don't know what others have done with him but I have a pretty good idea what Buck, Kirby and Jones will do with him.

I have a pretty good idea what Buck, Kirby and Jones will do with him.

Explain that to us please. I am sure more than just myself have the curiosity of how that works. I for one believe we build a team with players that have spots rather than find leopards to change theirs.

If Kirby was that kind of magician then Nolan would be a league average fielder by now.

As far as I have seen Parra can track the ball well. Runs well. Catches it well. His range in the corner is pretty good. The probably I have seen is with not hitting the cutoff man. His arm is strong and Jones say that is true.

I think Buck, Kirby and Jones can fix the cutoff problem.

As far as I have seen Parra can track the ball well. Runs well. Catches it well. His range in the corner is pretty good. The probably I have seen is with not hitting the cutoff man. His arm is strong and Jones say that is true.

I think Buck, Kirby and Jones can fix the cutoff problem.

I really don't know what you're watching. On more than one occasion I witnessed him take poor routes and it looked to me as if his range was average to below. I thought he's represented very well by the metrics-below average. In that regard, he's very much like Markakis, he catches what he gets to. Actually, Nick takes better routes.

Archived