Baseball on the radio

DREKTUNES

Ah, Gameday Audio - listening to Ron Santo talk about scrambled eggs during the Cubs/ Brewers game. Santo just slays me. I know some people don't like homers in the booth, but jeez does he make me laugh.

That is all.

I have it and love it. I wish I could play it at work but it's blocked. It's nice to have it at home and listen to any game I want. I think I may listen to some of the Spanish versions to see if I can pick up the language a little.

I have it and love it. I wish I could play it at work but it's block. It's nice to have it at home and listen to any game I want. I think I may listen to some of the Spanish versions to see if I can pick up the language a little.

Heh - when the season opened in Japan, XM ran both teams broadcasts and the Japanese one. Didn't pick any up.

And this is how I listen. Best $6/ month ever.

When I grew up my TV channles were MPT/PBS and whatever local news channel we could get with the bunny ears (I'm only 21, so this isnt the good ol days we're talking about) so I fell in love with the Orioles on the radio. I remember sitting there with my old man listening to every pitch on a crappy old radio out on the patio as he smoked his pipe and I hung on every swing of the bat or pitch. The only time I saw Orioles games were in person, and when they made the playoffs because we'd manuever the bunny-ears to get the channel they were on. Now, I'm a poor college student and have no cable, so I sit and listen to the Orioles on the radio and I dont care how bad they lose, it reminds me of my Dad and how much he taught me in the short time I had with him. He loved the Orioles more than I did, and every time I hear "It's going, going, going...GONEEEE" coming through my radio speakers it makes me miss him but also makes me smile to know the O's are actually doing something right. I love baseball on the radio, and thats how I prefer it. I dont need to see it, I just need to know whats going on.

When I grew up my TV channles were MPT/PBS and whatever local news channel we could get with the bunny ears (I'm only 21, so this isnt the good ol days we're talking about) so I fell in love with the Orioles on the radio. I remember sitting there with my old man listening to every pitch on a crappy old radio out on the patio as he smoked his pipe and I hung on every swing of the bat or pitch. The only time I saw Orioles games were in person, and when they made the playoffs because we'd manuever the bunny-ears to get the channel they were on. Now, I'm a poor college student and have no cable, so I sit and listen to the Orioles on the radio and I dont care how bad they lose, it reminds me of my Dad and how much he taught me in the short time I had with him. He loved the Orioles more than I did, and every time I hear "It's going, going, going...GONEEEE" coming through my radio speakers it makes me miss him but also makes me smile to know the O's are actually doing something right. I love baseball on the radio, and thats how I prefer it. I dont need to see it, I just need to know whats going on.

Try going to your student union or maybe your dorm has a community tv. I didn't have one when I was a freshman, but since most everyone else had one in their room, I used the dorm's tv as my personal one.

Great post. Baseball and radio have been linked pretty much since their inceptions, so whenever I listen to a game with a good/ great broadcaster (and we certainly have a fantastic lineage here in Baltimore) I feel connected to the baseball continuum.

Or I just listen to Santo and laugh :)

Archived