Best AL Record Since Dan Duquette Arrived.

weams

The reason we were one game out was because our schedule to that point was fairly weak. The reason we fell off the pace is because our schedule became tougher. It's pretty simple. If you don't think SoS is a critical factor, IMO the most important factor, then we will have to agree to disagree.

The reason we fell off the pace is because our pitching absolutely sucked. The offense fell off the face of the earth at times also but it was the pitching that was the catalyst that sent the train downhill. Simple as that.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The reason we fell off the pace is because our pitching absolutely sucked. The offense fell off the face of the earth at times also but it was the pitching that was the catalyst that sent the train downhill. Simple as that.

In the series that I felt killed us (home against Minnesota), in those last 3 games, we absolutely pitched well enough to win. We literally couldn't buy a clutch hit while the Twins "royaled" us to death with bloop hits and manufactured runs. There was a stretch there for a couple of weeks where our offense was comically bad. Starting pitching for the whole year was subpar, but what really sticks out to me from this past season is just inept situational offense.

Good discussion here from all camps. I believe the addition of the second wildcard has changed the playing field in a dramatic fashion. A lot of theoretical components make the future bleak or bountiful.

It took a team that was 1 game out, and improved a weak position...so yes it was reasonable to believe the team that was only 1 game out of a spot, would play better the last two months of the season with a better corner outfielder.

It didn't improve a weak position.

I said at the time that he might very well not be better then the other choices the O's had available.

Turns out I overestimated him, he was worse.

Good discussion here from all camps. I believe the addition of the second wildcard has changed the playing field in a dramatic fashion. A lot of theoretical components make the future bleak or bountiful.

I agree to some degree. The second wild card does lower the threshold a team has to be at to remain competitive in most years.

Its an important offseason for this team. I think its important to keep some of the momentum of the past 4 years going and that means fielding a team that is reasonably competitive. It's also important to rebuild the farm and that means protecting the picks unless a player comes in at a number that just makes a lot of sense for several years (not likely but possible). That is tall order but it can be done IMO. Opportunity knocks.

I agree to some degree. The second wild card does lower the threshold a team has to be at to remain competitive in most years.

Its an important offseason for this team. I think its important to keep some of the momentum of the past 4 years going and that means fielding a team that is reasonably competitive. It's also important to rebuild the farm and that means protecting the picks unless a player comes in at a number that just makes a lot of sense for several years (not likely but possible). That is tall order but it can be done IMO. Opportunity knocks.

You can only do so much in a short period of time without huge cash injections. I'll take winning at the MLB level for now. I've been through "Come watch the Kids Play," "Trade your vets for minor league maybes," and "Hold on for the Ride," myself. I'm ok how things are.

For me the wheels came off, that series against the Twins at Home in Mid to Late August. They were 4 games above 500 and dropped 4 in a row and at least 2 of those games, they were winning late in the game.

Well, the general point is that the schedule was going to be tough no matter what. It doesn't matter to me if folks think one 10 game stretch could have gone differently or if a particular series went bad. Playing the last 8-10 weeks only against teams above .500 or the Nats or BoSox would be a highly unfavorable scenario from which to earn a WC spot.

A couple thoughts to this:

- at the trade deadline, I did post that a GM can't give up on a team so close at the trade deadline. The one caveat to most of my posts then was not knowing how difficult the remaining schedule was. While watching a game after the trade deadline, one of the announcers said the Os played a .500 or better team in every remaining series except for Washington and Boston (two rivalries). Our GM should have known it was always going to be a VERY tough road to hoe even though we were close in the standings.

- I find it interesting that so many people defended the 2013 moves when the Os were farther out at the deadline and also had a difficult remaining schedule, but in 2015 most seemed resigned to missing the playoffs even though we were in a similar even closer position.

The Orioles for periods this year didn't play very good baseball. The rotation showed no signs of turning it around and we didn't have the ammo to trade for a difference maker. It was an easy decision IMO.

Sun

The fans here have had more happy evenings than any other fan base since Dan Duquette has taken over.

You can not refute that one.

playoffs are meaningless. World Series is meaningless. Division championships are meaningless. It's about an aggregate league record over an arbitrary time period.

It didn't improve a weak position.

I said at the time that he might very well not be better then the other choices the O's had available.

Turns out I overestimated him, he was worse.

With hindsight yes....but at the time it improved a weak position.

Archived