Buck Showalter has returned to Dallas after meeting yesterday with managing partner Peter G. Angelos

weams

According to Connolly's article yesterday, they believe they have enough money available to make competitive offers to each of their free agents. Connolly goes on to question whether or not they have the means or desire to be the top bid, or whether they will merely offer what they believe the player is worth and leave it to the player to decide -- in other words, they have never overpaid in the past and probably won't this year.

I believe that. And the Orioles have proprietary evaluation formulas. They do not bid against the market.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Willing to add a couple of starters from FA. That doesn't mean Price or Jordan Zimmerman or Samardija. That means Colon, Chris Young, and the likes.

I actually prefer the Colon/Young route on 1 year contracts to wasting money on the mid tier guys like Mike Leake, J.A. Happ, Brett Anderson.

What I always wonder is if, with Zimmerman for example, is there an attractiveness to staying in the same area and not really having to uproot your family. Zimm could easily transition to Baltimore, not that we're gonna be top bidder, or bid at all, but is relative location attractive. Not that it's going to happen but I'd like the guy here.

Willing to add a couple of starters from FA. That doesn't mean Price or Jordan Zimmerman or Samardija. That means Colon, Chris Young, and the likes.

I actually prefer the Colon/Young route on 1 year contracts to wasting money on the mid tier guys like Mike Leake, J.A. Happ, Brett Anderson.

How about Kazmir and Estrada?

This is another way of saying that the only FA's the Orioles will sign are the ones in which they significantly over value compared to the other 29 teams or ones that no one else wants.

I guess so. I take it at it's value. We do the thing a bit different. It appears to have worked out during Duquettes tenure.

Competitive offers:

CD 18M

O'Day 7M

Chen 12M

Wieters12M

That would be around 50M? They have that many marbles?

I recalling reading a blurb a couple months back that there is supposed to be another influx of money from the National TV contract this season. I don't remember where I read it, so take it FWIW, but that would be a source of a few extra marbles.

Depends on the contract but I would lean against Estrada who had a career year at age 32. I like Kazmir but I think he gets 4/60 or better. Too rich for my blood. I'd rather go all in on Price.

I disagree on Estrada. Estrada's "career year" is mainly the result of his being misused/underused in Milwaukee. The guy has been very good for years. I think he is a gem. I think he represents a good value opportunity, and is one of the few free agents that I could see ending up being worth more than he is paid. Besides, by WAR, FIP, K/9, and K/BB his career year has been 2012, not 2014.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1118&position=P

I disagree on Estrada. Estrada's "career year" is mainly the result of his being misused/underused in Milwaukee. The guy has been very good for years. I think he is a gem. I think he represents a good value opportunity, and is one of the few free agents that I could see ending up being worth more than he is paid. Besides, by WAR, FIP, K/9, and K/BB his career year has been 2012, not 2014.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1118&position=P

Typo. should be 2015.

Archived