Buck Showalter has returned to Dallas after meeting yesterday with managing partner Peter G. Angelos

weams

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2015 Career high in:

innings pitched (181)

ERA+ (126)

WHIP

hits per 9 innings (6.7)

ERA (3.13)

He might be good going forward. His 4.40 FIP this year is a concern. Depends on the contract, I guess.

P.S. Career best BABIP of .216 (previous best .257) Also, his XFIP was 4.93. There is some evidence that he is a home run pitcher who was a little lucky in that area in 2015. A home run per fly ball rate of 8.7% this year. Another career best. Career average 11.1%. 10.5% is considered the average rate so he was well below average this year.

I'm thinking that the ERA, ERA+, FIP, and BABIP numbers in 2015 are all a result of pitching in front of a better defense in Toronto than he did in Milwaukee. I would expect that those results in Baltimore would be closer to the Toronto numbers than the Milwaukee numbers. Wouldn't you?

I'm not a stat guy but FIP stands for Fielder Independent Pitching. Isn't that supposed to account for the defense of one team being better than another.

I would expect his numbers in Baltimore to be more in line with most of his career, and not 2015, which has been a career year anyway you slice it. Career year. First year in a new league. Those are things to consider.

With a good fielding team, the ERA and ERA+ numbers will tend to be better than the FIP numbers, and the BABIP would likely be lower than with a bad fielding team. Even in the Orioles good years recently, the Orioles' pitchers have had FIP numbers that don't look nearly as good as their actual ERA. Defense matters.

According to Roch.

So with Peter in attendance, all of our management met with him.

Roch also indicated that a source suggested that Mr. Angelos is willing to add a couple starters from Free Agency.

A gray area statement if there ever was one.

I'd love the O's to spend good money wisely, but I don't see anything saying they will be shopping for top tier. Nor would I think that's going to happen.

Do you think that the savings on those long term crippling contracts has translated to quality signings, draft choices and amateur free agents?
Had we committed to these kinds of long term contracts, like say Teixeira's, we very likely wouldn't have made the playoffs two of the last 4 years.

Archived