Pitching - DEFENSE - And the 3 Run homer

weams

The Orioles? defensive runs saved total was minus-9, which ranked 11th of 15 in the AL. The top three teams in the AL in runs saved ? the Kansas City Royals (51), Houston Astros (37) and Toronto Blue Jays (20) ? were all playoff teams. The Texas Rangers ranked ninth in the AL with one defensive run saved and the wild-card winning New York Yankees were an outlier, making the postseason despite recording minus-40 runs saved, the second-to-worst total in the AL.

Last season, the Orioles led the AL with 57 runs saved on their way to a division title and trip to the ALCS.

That's a decrease of 66 defensive runs saved between this year's team and last year's club.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-defense-runs-saved-20151019-story.html

Get on base somehow. Hit, Get hit by a pitch, Walk. Strike out and run to first base.

Don't steal. Don't GIGP.

Hit one out.

Pick it.

And for Goodness sake. Pitch. Pitch like your life depended on it.

The right field position, where 11 different players made starts, was a minus-8. Second basemen posted a minus-7 runs saved total, which was surprising even though starter Jonathan Schoop missed 2 ? months with a right knee injury.

I know Schoop has a good arm but is his range great?

Delmon, Davis, and Reimold were all in right.

Interesting article. Seems to confirm some "eye test" takes on 2015. Looking at our Fangraphs dashboard for 2015, a couple other comments/questions.

How does Schoop go from +7.2 to -3.8? Is there a problem with Schoop or a problem with the metrics?

Parra shows up at -8.4. Lots of discussion on the board about his defense. Has the great arm and good speed but for some reason the metrics hate him. Problem with Parra, or with the metrics?

JJ still led the defense with +11 (but down from +20).

I was surprised to see Davis near the bottom of the list at -5.5.

Delmon was bad, even in limited time, accounting for -4.4. Alvarez was +1.1 in a very small sample. That bodes well if Alvarez starts the year in RF.

Paredes at the bottom with -11.6. Hopefully he never sees the field again.

Just getting rid of Paredes, Delmon, and Parra would solve quite a lot of this.

Interesting article. Seems to confirm some "eye test" takes on 2015. Looking at our Fangraphs dashboard for 2015, a couple other comments/questions.

Just getting rid of Paredes, Delmon, and Parra would solve quite a lot of this.

I question the metrics and agree with you. I like Alvarez.

Archived