Has our competitive window closed???

DocJJ

Weams , with all due respect I can't believe you viewed this team as competitive. The basically got buried early in the division. The were only really in the thing because of the second "one game playoff" wild card slot.

Most people here thought the team should sell at the deadline. And if they were smart they would have. I'm as much a fan as anyone here, but for petesake can't we atleast keep it real? The Orioles had a zero chance of winning it all even if they squeaked into the playoffs.

Perhaps it's just that competitive means different things to different people.

Maybe if we are up 2 in the WC at the deadline in 2016 we will sell.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think baseball was ruined when they went to divisions in the 60s, so I don't really count any playoff appearances that weren't a result of the best record in the league. So, yea, not really. But you seem to be saying that teams should be disappointed by a exciting October run that was preceded by a "tainted" wildcard route to the postseason.

Well, the fact that there are imbalanced schedules makes the best record in the league factor a bit nebulous, doesn't it? There have been numerous cases where a good team has the best record in the league because they happen to be in a weak division and/or play a weaker inter-league schedule.

Just because I am pessimistic about the immediate and long-term future of the team, does not make me less of a fan. A fan follows his team, knows his team, cheers for his team at the games, and hopes his team will succeed. That's me.

To think we're going to be a playoff contender next year is frankly, delusional. The only way I see it is if something shocking happens: Angelos dies. His sons sell the team to a new owner. The new owner is Bill Gates wealthy. He buys David Price, Zach Greinke, Scott Kazmir, Alex Gordon, Yoenis Cespedes, Jason Heyward.

I wish the O's would see that Boston, NY, and Toronto have vastly more talent than we do for the foreseeable future. Therefore, it makes sense to start going in to rebuild mode. Trade off your talent and stockpile prospects. Suffer a few last place finishes to get top 3 draft picks every year (the only way the O's seem to find any talent in the draft). Go for broke on a big name free agent when you are getting close to contention again... I'm afraid the O's will think they can compete and put off this process for a few years, thus taking even longer to sniff the playoffs again...

Why is the statement "I am a realist" almost always followed by an explanation of why we're staring into a chasm of despair? And I don't just mean here. I mean that almost every time I've ever heard someone refer to themselves as a realist on any matter they have an overwhelmingly negative outlook?

Well, the fact that there are imbalanced schedules makes the best record in the league factor a bit nebulous, doesn't it? There have been numerous cases where a good team has the best record in the league because they happen to be in a weak division and/or play a weaker inter-league schedule.

I wouldn't dive to far into this because I'm being completely facetious. I understand that divisions and unbalanced schedules and all that can be unfair to some degree, and I'm good with that. The Orioles probably would have been a playoff team this year if they were in the right NL division, but whatever. I have an OOTP league that's one big 20-team division with a balanced schedule, and that's good enough for me. I try to not tilt at windmills anymore. I was really just trying to point out that it's silly to gig the Orioles for only being in the pennant race due to the 2nd wildcard.

Maybe if we are up 2 in the WC at the deadline in 2016 we will sell.

I think some folks here would be happy if the GM stood up and said "yes, I know, if the season ended today we'd be in the playoffs, but I'm selling off everything for a run at 2018 or 2020 because I did a crappy job of making this team into a self-sustaining 103-win juggernaut."

Why is the statement "I am a realist" almost always followed by an explanation of why we're staring into a chasm of despair? And I don't just mean here. I mean that almost every time I've ever heard someone refer to themselves as a realist on any matter they have an overwhelmingly negative outlook?

Life_isn

We watch baseball to avoid the awful truth. Nobody gets out of this alive.

I agree with you. I'm not very optimistic about our playoff chances for next year, but to say that anyone who thinks we'll be a contender next year is "delusional" is a very negative point of view. Was it "delusional" to think we'd be in the playoffs in 2012?

I think some folks here would be happy if the GM stood up and said "yes, I know, if the season ended today we'd be in the playoffs, but I'm selling off everything for a run at 2018 or 2020 because I did a crappy job of making this team into a self-sustaining 103-win juggernaut. Besides, I really wanted to be in Toronto."

There would be a reason they were still "realistically" unhappy.

I think some folks here would be happy if the GM stood up and said "yes, I know, if the season ended today we'd be in the playoffs, but I'm selling off everything for a run at 2018 or 2020 because I did a crappy job of making this team into a self-sustaining 103-win juggernaut."

Never underestimate the power of convincing other people that they really should be miserable.

Never underestimate the power of convincing other people that they really should be miserable.

Letting anyone construct a mental chasm that your buzz can be harshed into is the worst possible head space. The day after the World Series parade is over the winning team is disassembled. You can talk crap to all your friends until the first spring training game the new team loses.

Enjoy what life gives you and don't waste your time worrying about things you can't predict or change.

Enjoy the last four seasons. It might be all this generation of Orioles fans get.

So the next time a "realist" wants to come tell me what bad is about to befall my favorite team, I just go watch game 162, 2011. When it all started.

I don't think it's as much at being happy and unhappy. I'd use the analogy of Santa Claus. There are some people trying to tell you that there is no Santa Claus but you'd prefer to put your fingers in your ears and go on believing. You are very happy that way. Works for you. Christmas is a whole lot more fun when you still believe. :)

I would say that not all is lost, but the Orioles will need some luck and good fortune to keep things going in the right direction. The farm system is thin and the payroll is causing us to lose what we already had.

Kind of unfortunate shot you've taken at me there. It's not Santa Claus at all. And you certainly did not think that I would just take another one of your assumptions that I ignore reality in my life.

It is absolutely a presence of being that helps a person live a full and enthusiastic life. Has nothing to do with fantasy or delusion. There is always something good that you can find about each day.

I'm not talking about everyday life. I'm talking about the Orioles.

Orioles might have a tough couple years coming at them. Who knows. Certainly not you or I. And the folks who bask in Orioles misery often show that they have an incredible darkness of being.

Has MSK or Herman posted in this thread. Is DocJJ a poster who basks in the Orioles misery? I know I am not one. I just thought there were people in this thread who are worried about the future of the team and expressed what they believe are the problems. Unfortunately those people seem to get classified as "unhappy" and "not a real fan". Kind of like during the Vietnam War when protesters were told to "love it or leave it".

I was not singling anyone out at all. Nor bringing up any names. I never said that anyone was not a fan. That anyone one was an unhappy person. I said I don't fill my life with dread and fear. I never told anyone what to love. Or ask anyone to leave. That is the last thing from who I am or what I have done. I just simply let you know I did not appreciate the digs you have been throwing my way. That's all.

Archived