Tim Dierkes of MLBTR predicts Davis contract of 6/144

mdbdotcom

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking at the Cubs roster it would seem unlikely they would make a run at Davis, but they would have the payroll flexibility. The Nationals will be looking to add offense. Davis could play RF or 1B for them. Zimmerman cannot stay healthy and either can Werth.

And if those guys could stay healthy, Harper would gladly move to CF to accommodate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davis is signing with Houston. Be aggressive and sign Upton and Zobrist before he signs. Let him go. I like him but he is not worth the contract Boras will get for him. Upton is a friend of AJ's. Signing him will keep him quiet this off season. We talked about trading for Daniel Murphy a few years ago. The Daily News in NY says the Mets are not going to sign him. He's a great clubhouse guy and a solid hitter. Forget the HR's in the Playoffs. He would be an asset to the Orioles. If the money is right we can find a spot for him in the lineup at 1B, 2B, 3B or DH.

Davis is signing with Houston. Be aggressive and sign Upton and Zobrist before he signs. Let him go. I like him but he is not worth the contract Boras will get for him. Upton is a friend of AJ's. Signing him will keep him quiet this off season. We talked about trading for Daniel Murphy a few years ago. The Daily News in NY says the Mets are not going to sign him. He's a great clubhouse guy and a solid hitter. Forget the HR's in the Playoffs. He would be an asset to the Orioles. If the money is right we can find a spot for him in the lineup at 1B, 2B, 3B or DH.

With his postseason so far, the O's won't be paying the premium to pay him.

Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees Giants and Red Sox will be in on Price and Grienke. Whoever signs them will not be in on Davis.

People are going to be surprised when the Cubs have little to nothing to do with Price this offseason. They have no interest in having nearly 400M in contract out between Lester/Price. Zimmermann and Samardzija are about the highest end SP the Cubs are eyeing. They're looking to get one mid rotation arm via FA and one via trade, i.e Tyson Ross. Target #1 is Jason Heyward.

With his postseason so far, the O's won't be paying the premium to pay him.

With his postseason so far, Murphy is on track to be way overpaid. Career .288/.331/.424 hitter, 110 OPS+. Not first base material, and we've got Schoop/Machado at 2B/3B with Hardy clogging SS.

Given some of the numbers being thrown around, I don't think 6/144 is an unreasonable contract for CD (though I do, like a few others, believe some team will go with that seventh year to get the deal done). If that doesn't happen, though, I wouldn't mind us giving that contract to Davis. Obviously eats up a lot of our marbles, but keeps a strength a strength.

I might prefer that we allocate that money toward pitching, but I wouldn't be upset if we signed CD tomorrow for that total.

Houston certainly does make a lot of sense. No state income tax. Home run friendly ballpark. Davis is from Texas. Looking to move Chris Carter and would have an opening at 1B. Houston only loses a late, 1st round pick.

I was thinking the same thing. And I was also thinking that once Davis signs elsewhere, the O's would probably land someone like Chris Carter.

With his postseason so far, Murphy is on track to be way overpaid. Career .288/.331/.424 hitter, 110 OPS+. Not first base material, and we've got Schoop/Machado at 2B/3B with Hardy clogging SS.

At what point do the Orioles even begin to consider moving Hardy off SS. I believe that Machado is at least his equal defensively at SS? You can point to nagging injuries as the reason that JJ's offensive numbers were bad in 2015. But, arguing that he'll be healthier next season when he'll also be a year older isn't very convincing. On the other hand, he really is the defensive captain of the infield with both Manny and Jonathan Schoop having a lot of respect for him.

At what point do the Orioles even begin to consider moving Hardy off SS. I believe that Machado is at least his equal defensively at SS? You can point to nagging injuries as the reason that JJ's offensive numbers were bad in 2015. But, arguing that he'll be healthier next season when he'll also be a year older isn't very convincing. On the other hand, he really is the defensive captain of the infield with both Manny and Jonathan Schoop having a lot of respect for him.

Moving Manny to SS, has some merit.

However, who do you plug into 3rd?

Moving Manny to SS, has some merit.

However, who do you plug into 3rd?

Trevor Plouffe (29 year old) or David Freese (33) Probably available on a fairly reasonable contracts.

Howie Kendrick, Sean Rodriquez, and Daniel Murphy are all 31 or 32 year old free agent 2Bmen if you are willing to consider moving Schoop to 3B. He played poorly there in a small number of games when he first came up, but should be fine if given time to make the transition.

Internally? Good luck. I don't think we have an infielder other than Mancini that really looks anywhere close to major league ready. And defensively, he's stuck on 1B.

Trevor Plouffe (29 year old) or David Freese (33) Probably available on a fairly reasonable contracts.

Howie Kendrick, Sean Rodriquez, and Daniel Murphy are all 31 or 32 year old free agent 2Bmen if you are willing to consider moving Schoop to 3B. He played poorly there in a small number of games when he first came up, but should be fine if given time to make the transition.

Internally? Good luck. I don't think we have an infielder other than Mancini that really looks anywhere close to major league ready. And defensively, he's stuck on 1B.

I just know that we been here before, and it sucked big time.

As much as I know that Manny can do a great job at SS.

He is still the best defensive 3rd in the majors, and for that reason, I am reluctant to get on the Manny to SS bandwagon.

I just know that we been here before, and it sucked big time.

As much as I know that Manny can do a great job at SS.

He is still the best defensive 3rd in the majors, and for that reason, I am reluctant to get on the Manny to SS bandwagon.

But if you're getting more total value out of the positions combined, it doesn't matter if the person inserted at 3rd isn't as good defensively. If the new 3B + Machado at SS provides more total value than Machado at 3B + Hardy, you've upgraded.

And that isn't that difficult if Hardy remains close to replacement level, no matter what his glove looks like. Of course, I don't think we should be resigned to thinking this is what Hardy is going to be now, but you have to start considering alternative options in case he is.

Archived