Os are tenth in 2007 MLB payroll

Baltimoron

Why in the hell should i compare their moves to other teams? There isn't one intelligent reason for this.

Just because other teams piss away money, that means the Orioles are allowed to do it too?

What horrible logic.

SG, I really do not understand how you can read my posts in this thread and claim that I am saying the Os should be allowed to do this if other teams do as well. It's truly bizarre how you reach your conclusions about what others post and immediately put someone else on the defensive for an opinion they never advocated in the firstplace.

When you say that you only care about the Orioles and the mistakes they make irregardless of what another team does, that's not a fair comparison. For instance, why don't you require our FO to design a team to win 162 games in a season? Shouldn't one loss be unacceptable? Or is it perhaps that our won-loss record should be judged against other teams' records?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Payton is a fourth outfielder with a platoon split being paid to be a full-time starter. You could probably approximate his production with an Endy Chavez/Brady Clark platoon or something like that, but it might not be old enough for the Orioles.

Cruz will almost certainly give you better production than Payton.

In 150 - 200 AB against LHP yes. Against RHP for 350 -400 AB, I wouldn't bet on it. Clark/Chavez will cost $5.6 mil.+ this year, not including who you give up in trade.

RF at 3B: Mora 2.74, Huff 2.58

ZR at 3B: Mora .765, Huff .745

Fldg. % at 3B: Mora .955, Huff .945

I'd say Mora is clearly better, though the gap is not so wide that you'd suffer much by giving Mora some days off and letting Huff play 3B.

I'm all for resting Melmo and playing Huff when doing so. Just not in favor of Huff as a full 3B. I think he's working out better than could be expected at 1B particularly at making scoops but most scouting reports I've seen referred to, say he is an all around defensively challenged player.

SG, I really do not understand how you can read my posts in this thread and claim that I am saying the Os should be allowed to do this if other teams do as well. It's truly bizarre how you reach your conclusions about what others post and immediately put someone else on the defensive for an opinion they never advocated in the firstplace.

When you say that you only care about the Orioles and the mistakes they make irregardless of what another team does, that's not a fair comparison. For instance, why don't you require our FO to design a team to win 162 games in a season? Shouldn't one loss be unacceptable? Or is it perhaps that our won-loss record should be judged against other teams' records?

That is the only comparison that is really important...Wins and losses.

Our object should be to win more than everyone else.

Not make their mistakes and say, well everyone else is doing it.

In 150 - 200 AB against LHP yes. Against RHP for 350 -400 AB, I wouldn't bet on it. Clark Chavez will cost $5.6 mil.+ this year, not including who you give up in trade.

Heh.

Chavez/Clark was a joke; I don't even know if those guys have splits.

That is the only comparison that is really important...Wins and losses.

Our object should be to win more than everyone else.

Not make their mistakes and say, well everyone else is doing it.

Agreed. You can't expect perfection, but you hope the team doesn't make a lot of gross mistakes.

If you go by the logic that the 10th highest payroll should buy you the 10th best team, then based on last year the Orioles would need to win about 86 games to justify the payroll.

Heh.

Chavez/Clark was a joke; I don't even know if those guys have splits.

I'm not elated about Payton. I would have liked Delucci/Cruz. I wish we knew why we didn't go after them but our wonderful press doesn't seem to be able to ask such questions. Given the fact that you can't have those two, or Soriano or Lee, what's the better FA choice for LF other than Payton for under $4mil. per?

In a perfect world that's the way to go. In reality you'll probably end up with half a dozen $5M players, too, but I think the most efficient way to run a payroll is very unbalanced. Build what you can through the farm, buy a few big stars, and fill in the rest with platoons and innovation. Stay far, far away from $7M league average DHs, and the like.

The frightening thing is that the O's are fielding virtually a whole team of guys living in the middle-market free agent region that you advocate avoiding.

The frightening thing is that the O's are fielding virtually a whole team of guys living in the middle-market free agent region that you advocate avoiding.

Yes, and Drungo has been critical of them for years for this reason. However, I'm willing to let the year play out and see what bang they get for their buck.

I have the O's at a payroll of about $92-93M, but the O's are spending about $10M less then that on major league players. That is because:

1) The Yankees sent $4M along with Wright to pay a large portion of his $7M salary.

2) Appro. 80% of Benson's $7.5M salary is pay for by insurance.

Bottom line the O's a actually spending about $82-83M on major league players.

1. Tejada 12M

2. Mora 8M

3. Benson 7.5M -6M (less 80% recovery from insurance)

4. Wright 7M-4M = Net 3M

5. Hernandez 6.5M

6. Baez 5.1M

7. Gibbons 5M

8. Payton 4.5M

9. Patterson 4.3M

10. Roberts 4.2M

11. Huff 4M

12. Bradford 3.5M

13. Bedard 3.4M

14. Trachsel 3.1M

15. Walker 3M

16. Millar 2.75M

17. Cabrera 1.825

18. Williamson .9M

19. Bako .9M

20. Gomez .85M

21. Williams .775M

22. Parrish .575M

23. Ray .42M

24. Markakis .4M

25. Burres .4M

26. Guthrie .4M

27. Loewen .4M

28. Bynum.4M

Total 92.095M – 10M = 82.095M

I'm not elated about Payton. I would have liked Delucci/Cruz. I wish we knew why we didn't go after them but our wonderful press doesn't seem to be able to ask such questions. Given the fact that you can't have those two, or Soriano or Lee, what's the better FA choice for LF other than Payton for under $4mil. per?

Termel Sledge and Jon Knott?

Archived