We should hire a GM, we don't have one

weams

We have an EVP. I think this makes sense.

What he doesn't say, and what seems increasingly clear across baseball, is that the identity of the GM is nowhere as near important as the identity of the top baseball operations person which, in the Phillies' case, is Andy MacPhail. It's enough to make one wonder when the press will stop reporting on GM hires like they used to and, rather, treat them like any other assistant front office position, relegated to bullet points at the end of notes columns.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/10/23/phillies-likely-to-name-their-gm-on-monday/

We should also make Peter Angelos the Chairman, John Angelos the CEO, and Duquette the President of Baseball Operations. Our front office is understaffed in today's baseball world.

Small market team. Trying to put all it's resources into on field product...

Raising payroll by $3 million in the FO needs to be matched by improvement of more than 1/2 WAR on the field.

Sometime that half game is all you need and sometimes you can get 7 WAR for 3 million in league minimum players.

We used to be mid... and they have us listed at 110 there.

So dropping to 110 is small market and 120 is mid market?

personally to me, small market is the 62 million that the Marlins are at, and maybe a ceiling of 80 million.

IMO I just don't see them spending $50MM unless they are fully committed to re-signing Davis as that would take up half the pot.

I would expect 2016 payroll to be at $90-95MM

You could very well be right. Hopefully, we won't see that kind of drop off. How do you explain to the fans, that you are fielding a competitive team, and you slash payroll?

Archived