2015 World Series: Mets vs. Royals

OFFNY

I wasn't comparing it to religion in a literal sense. LOL come on, man. Thank you for illustrating my point - sabermetrics guys look at everything in black and white.

Sabermetrics say that strikeouts aren't a big deal. Well, the Royals just proved how beneficial it can be to put the ball in play.

Once again displaying your ignorance.

Strikeouts are in fact worse then generic outs, this has always been understood.

What strikeouts are not, is so much worse then regular outs that they should be the basis for decision making.

Of course knowing that would require you to actually study that which you attack on reflex.

I know it is a lot easier to launch attacks full of faulty logic.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. You can't tell me that some luck is not involved. Yes, they are good. But they are not that good. But, at the end of the day, all champions have luck on their side.

Agree with all of this. If you run this postseason 1000x, how often do the Royals win? Then again, all postseasons are like that I guess...

How does the Church of Sabermetrics feel about a team like the Royals winning the World Series?????

It's amazing what can happen when guys put the ball in play instead of striking out

:rofl:

Guess what I just found?

Not that I expect you to read this, as you seem to avoid enlightenment but for the rest of us:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/royals-royals/

The club has no fewer than four full-time employees who work in analytics, and that doesn?t include any interns or consultants. Mike Groopman, who has spent eight years with the franchise and previously worked at Baseball Prospectus, was promoted to the role of director of baseball operations/analytics back in January.
Groopman oversees Kansas City?s analytics department, which also includes John Williams, Daniel Mack and Guy Stevens, whose academic backgrounds rival any front office analyst in the game. Williams attended Yale and has a graduate degree in atmospheric science from MIT. Mack has a Ph.D from Vanderbilt where his studies focused on machine learning, and Stevens co-authored a paper that appeared in the ?Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports? while he attended and pitched at Pomona. Mack and Williams spoke at the sabermetric conference Saber Seminar this summer.
Even more impressive than the front-office brainpower has been the way in which Kansas City has applied progressive approaches and taken advantage of undervalued assets to gain an edge on the field.

Like I said the other day, I don't care if you swim or build a bridge as long as you get across the river.

If the Royals want to target defense, the bullpen and contact as undervalued assets then that is as as Sabermetric an approach as targeting OBP was a couple decades ago.

o

I believe that this World Series that matched two relatively even teams, with the Royals outplaying the Mets in almost every aspect of the game.

The Mets had the advantage in the starting rotation, and the Royals had the advantage in the bullpen.

Ned Yost made less mistakes in managing his team than Terry Collins did. I believe that Collins' biggest mistake was inserting Tyler Clippard into Game Four to start the 8th inning when the Mets had a one-run lead. Yes, Clippard had a clean inning in his previous outing in Game Two, but that was when there was absolutely no pressure on him (the Mets were leading by 6 runs), and Clippard was absolutely horrible in all of his other 2015 postseason outings. I believe that that was an even bigger mistake than letting Matt Harvey continue to pitch to another Royals batter in the 9th inning of Game Five after he had allowed a lead-off walk.

The Royals were very aggressive on the basepaths, and imposed their will on the Mets.

The Royals made a couple of defensive mistakes, but only one that was at a very crusical time, and even when that happened, they still managed to win that game (Game One.) The Mets made numerous defensive blunders at crucial times. Even in the cases in which there was not an official error, the Mets played like a bunch of sandlotters defensively ...... such as when in Game Five, Lucas Duda made an awful throw to home plate in the bottom of the 9th inning.

With perhaps a couple of rare exceptions, the Royals played solid fundamental baseball, and were relentless in terms of their killer instinct on offense.

The Mets made it a competitive series overall, but they played like a bunch of sandlotters defensively.

Combine all of this together, and you have a one-sided series in terms of games won ....... the Royals 4, the Mets 1.

Archived