How many high OBP guys can we realistically add this offseason?

higgybaby

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our only regulars above .308 this season (above .319 if you count Wieters) were Machado and Davis who both came in around .360. Two or three guys that could get on base at around a .350 clip (hell .340) would do wonders for our offense.

Assuming we lose Davis, I think we need to add three solid OBP guys if expect to see any improvement offensively. Those type of players don't necessarily grow on trees, but we should be able to get some help there if we really try to target players with that skill. Zobrist, Jaso, Span, and Fowler are some mid-level options with Heyward, Upton, and Gordon being more costly. A guy like Ethier via trade could give us a boost as well.

.340 or better. I'd look at Zobrist, Fowler, Span, Lind, Jaso, and Morneau, depending on whether they get a QO or not.

The median team OBP in the AL was about .315. A player with a .340 would be roughly in the top 1/3rd of regulars and semi-regulars. 49 of 177 AL players with 200+ PAs had at least a .340.

The median team OBP in the AL was about .315. A player with a .340 would be roughly in the top 1/3rd of regulars and semi-regulars. 49 of 177 AL players with 200+ PAs had at least a .340.

Yea median team OBP's have definitely fallen in recent years.

I'd be happy if the Orioles just stopped being towards the bottom of the AL.

It'd be nice to get people at least in the .320 range or better.

Span, Fowler, Morneau, Jaso, Lind and Zobrist all have OBP of .340 or better.

Don't forget Justin Turner. He bats right-handed, but hits RHP better than LHP. Stick him at 1B until Mancini is ready. Sign Jaso to DH.

Can't imagine the Brewers won't pick up Lind's option, so he would require a trade.

Span, Fowler, Morneau, Jaso, Lind and Zobrist all have OBP of .340 or better.

2015 salaries:

Span - $9 mm (last year of multi-year deal, would have been his first year of FA)

Fowler - $9.5 mm (4th year arb)

Morneau - $6.75 mm (2nd year of two-year FA deal)

Jaso - $3.2 mm (3rd year arb)

Lind - $7.5 mm (team has an $8 mm option for 2016)

Zobrist - $7.5 mm (last year of multi-year deal, would have been 2nd year of FA)

I think Fowler and Zobrist will earn an AAV in the $12 mm range. Span probably gets $8-9 mm, Morneau $6-7 mm, Jaso $4-5 mm. Lind will have his option picked up so he won't be an FA. Span and Morneau present significant durability risks, and Jaso is a platoon player. We could afford two of the five guys and still have some money left for a SP, I think.

2015 salaries:

Span - $9 mm (last year of multi-year deal, would have been his first year of FA)

Fowler - $9.5 mm (4th year arb)

Morneau - $6.75 mm (2nd year of two-year FA deal)

Jaso - $3.2 mm (3rd year arb)

Lind - $7.5 mm (team has an $8 mm option for 2016)

Zobrist - $7.5 mm (last year of multi-year deal, would have been 2nd year of FA)

I think Fowler and Zobrist will earn an AAV in the $12 mm range. Span probably gets $8-9 mm, Morneau $6-7 mm, Jaso $4-5 mm. Lind will have his option picked up so he won't be an FA. Span and Morneau present significant durability risks, and Jaso is a platoon player. We could afford two of the five guys and still have some money left for a SP, I think.

I could see Span and Morneau signing one year deals because of their injury issues. Could be a buy low situation. Fowler if not signed by the Cubs most likely gets a QO. Possibly Zobriist as well. BTW KC has 6 position players with OBP over .340.

A good way to use to look for guys with good plate discipline isn't always obp. It's a player who has an obp of 80 points or above his batting average. Even players in the 70 point range are good to get IMO.

Having these kind of players is just as important as putting an arbitrary value on what a good obp is.

I could see Span and Morneau signing one year deals because of their injury issues. Could be a buy low situation. Fowler if not signed by the Cubs most likely gets a QO. Possibly Zobriist as well. BTW KC has 6 position players with OBP over .340.

Zobrist was traded in-season. He cannot get a QO.

A good way to use to look for guys with good plate discipline isn't always obp. It's a player who has an obp of 80 points or above his batting average. Even players in the 70 point range are good to get IMO.

Having these kind of players is just as important as putting an arbitrary value on what a good obp is.

Plate discipline is not an end unto itself. I'd rather have a guy with a .300 BA and a .330 OBP than a guy with a .230 BA and a .310 OBP (assuming power is equal). In fact, I'd rather have a .300/.330 guy than a .250/.330, because hits are better than walks.

Archived