Pedro Alvarez may be a fit

wildcard

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the O's should look for someone to differentiate from the homer or bust style of offense they have.

For me, Alvarez at DH and Trumbo at 1B was a fine alternative to Davis, but with Davis, I don't see a fit. (Though, if you want to force a fit, it's:

vs. LHP

1B- Davis

DH- Trumbo

RF- Reimold

vs. RHP

1B- Trumbo

DH- Alvarez

RF- Davis

In any regard, I think it's a better strategy to see what Andre Either would cost from the Dodgers (both in terms of players and amount of $$ the O's would have to pay on that contract). I like him as a platoon option given his strong OBP against RHP.

Outside of him, it's a David Murphy, Matt Joyce, Will Venable type player we add to the lineup.

No! Cruz was in the field only half the time, and he actually did okay there. And Cruz is a great hitter. Alvarez and Trumbo are not in Cruz' class as hitters. Why jeopardize your defense for hitters who aren't anything special?

Cruz wasn't anything special until 2014. I think your selling Trumbo short. Look at his first 3 full seasons. He was definitely in Cruz class. Maybe Trumbo becomes a 40 HR hitter. He's only 29.

Cruz wasn't anything special until 2014. I think your selling Trumbo short. Look at his first 3 full seasons. He was definitely in Cruz class. Maybe Trumbo becomes a 40 HR hitter. He's only 29.

This would be the time to link the 2012 thread comparing Davis and Trumbo :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without the PED attachment.

I like Alvarez. Not sure where to play him.

Cruz was a bit better. 114 OPS+ before coming to the Orioles, and coming off a 124 OPS+ season. Trumbo is a 110 OPS+ career hitter, coming off a 108 OPS+ season.

That said, 110 OPS+ is about Adam Jones 2015 territory. That would help us.

Call me crazy, but with the limited good options to improve the rotation, I say we go all out and just try and outscore everyone. If Alvarez is willing to sign a decent 1, 2 or 3 year contract I'd bring him on and tell him he's going to be my everyday DH. Right now, the biggest problem the Orioles have is this moves Trumbo to the outfield, most likely RF, but if the Orioles played the sloth-like Markakis out in RF for a number of years they can probably get a way with Trumbo there for a year.

I kind of like this lineup:

1. Machado ® - 3B

2. Kim (L) - LF

3. Jones ® - CF

4. Davis (L) - 1B

5. Trumbo ® - RF

6. Alvarez (L) - DH

7. Schoop ® - 2B

8. Wieters/Joseph (S/R) ©

9. Hardy ® - SS

If Hardy recovers to even a decent bat, that's a tough lineup 1-9.

Our outfield defense is not going to rival KC, but man are we going to hit some home runs.

Call me crazy, but with the limited good options to improve the rotation, I say we go all out and just try and outscore everyone. If Alvarez is willing to sign a decent 1, 2 or 3 year contract I'd bring him on and tell him he's going to be my everyday DH. Right now, the biggest problem the Orioles have is this moves Trumbo to the outfield, most likely RF, but if the Orioles played the sloth-like Markakis out in RF for a number of years they can probably get a way with Trumbo there for a year.

I kind of like this lineup:

1. Machado ® - 3B

2. Kim (L) - LF

3. Jones ® - CF

4. Davis (L) - 1B

5. Trumbo ® - RF

6. Alvarez (L) - DH

7. Schoop ® - 2B

8. Wieters/Joseph (S/R) ©

9. Hardy ® - SS

If Hardy recovers to even a decent bat, that's a tough lineup 1-9.

Our outfield defense is not going to rival KC, but man are we going to hit some home runs.

You know me, more big bats makes me happy.

Cruz was a bit better. 114 OPS+ before coming to the Orioles, and coming off a 124 OPS+ season. Trumbo is a 110 OPS+ career hitter, coming off a 108 OPS+ season.

That said, 110 OPS+ is about Adam Jones 2015 territory. That would help us.

Only reason Cruz kept his OPS+ so high was he was suspended during his traditional slump.

Archived