Pedro Alvarez may be a fit

wildcard

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sign me up. Toronto didn't win with defense and pitching last year.

I couldn't agree more. Would I feel better with a superb defender in RF? Absolutely. However, the market isn't really favorable in that regard.

Take a look at the Cubs last year. Schwarber was a CIRCUS in LF from my vantage point, but provided enough offense to make it worthwhile. The defense will improve with time and work.

The only off the wall name I'd throw out there is Ian Desmond. Certainly athletic enough to play the outfield and had a plus arm from SS. I know we need a LHB, but he'd hit 25-30 bombs in Camden Yards. I know he costs a pick, but he could potentially be had on the cheap and will bounce back IMO. Guy cost himself a TON of money by not accepting the extension last year from the Nats.

The problem with moving Davis to the outfield is that he wants to play 1st base. Grant it I think he'll play where we ask him to, but he's a first baseman who can play some outfield. Trumbo has more experience in the outfield and with the way Camden is set up, you don't really need a plus defensive outfielder out there to get by.

Yes but then the O's lose a pick.

I think Fowler is the best fit for the team.

Because of the pick, I agree he is not the best deal.

If Gallardo is signed and the 14th pick is gone, then maybe Fowler is more attractive.

The problem with moving Davis to the outfield is that he wants to play 1st base. Grant it I think he'll play where we ask him to, but he's a first baseman who can play some outfield. Trumbo has more experience in the outfield and with the way Camden is set up, you don't really need a plus defensive outfielder out there to get by.

Hasn't Buck already been quoted recently saying his plans was Davis to play primary first?

I couldn't agree more. Would I feel better with a superb defender in RF? Absolutely. However, the market isn't really favorable in that regard.

Take a look at the Cubs last year. Schwarber was a CIRCUS in LF from my vantage point, but provided enough offense to make it worthwhile. The defense will improve with time and work.

The only off the wall name I'd throw out there is Ian Desmond. Certainly athletic enough to play the outfield and had a plus arm from SS. I know we need a LHB, but he'd hit 25-30 bombs in Camden Yards. I know he costs a pick, but he could potentially be had on the cheap and will bounce back IMO. Guy cost himself a TON of money by not accepting the extension last year from the Nats.

The Cubs' rotation is just a bit better than ours though. That goes a long way to run prevention.

I wouldn't mind getting Alvarez if we can't get a SP, but he wouldn't be my priority.

I don't know how Kim is as a fielder. I know Trumbo has been better in LF then he has in RF. And looking at Trumbo stats, his numbers don't appear to be horrible in LF over his career. His range isn't great, but it appears he catches what he gets to. Plus 9 assists in 129 games in LF.

Kim playe well on both sides of the ball for Korea in the WBC. I'm sure he will be fine despite all the concerns to the contrary.

Sorry to play grammar police, but I see this mistake a ton. Granted.

I agree that Trumbo is more likely to play the outfield than Davis, despite Buck's stated reluctance to do so. In the end, Buck is kind of a player's manager and Davis is a star player signed by the owner.

I don't know about Tony ...but my Apple products change the words all of the time. Sometimes drastic other times not so. I hate the feature personally.

Roch was on 105.7 last week and was very adamant that both Davis and Buck do not want Davis in the outfield with any kind of regularity. Davis wants to play first and was told that is where he will play.

If anyone is moving to the outfield, it's Trumbo.

Call me crazy, but with the limited good options to improve the rotation, I say we go all out and just try and outscore everyone. If Alvarez is willing to sign a decent 1, 2 or 3 year contract I'd bring him on and tell him he's going to be my everyday DH. Right now, the biggest problem the Orioles have is this moves Trumbo to the outfield, most likely RF, but if the Orioles played the sloth-like Markakis out in RF for a number of years they can probably get a way with Trumbo there for a year.

I kind of like this lineup:

1. Machado ® - 3B

2. Kim (L) - LF

3. Jones ® - CF

4. Davis (L) - 1B

5. Trumbo ® - RF

6. Alvarez (L) - DH

7. Schoop ® - 2B

8. Wieters/Joseph (S/R) ©

9. Hardy ® - SS

If Hardy recovers to even a decent bat, that's a tough lineup 1-9.

Our outfield defense is not going to rival KC, but man are we going to hit some home runs.

You have some support for this idea.

Roch was on 105.7 last week and was very adamant that both Davis and Buck do not want Davis in the outfield with any kind of regularity. Davis wants to play first and was told that is where he will play.

If anyone is moving to the outfield, it's Trumbo.

But other people say it could happen! That means it could happen!

You have some support for this idea.

1) 30 HR

2) 15 HR?

3) 30 HR

4) 40 HR

5) 25 HR

6) 25 HR

7) 30 HR

8) 25 HR

9) 10 HR

----------

Reimold/Flaherty/Rickard/other) 20 HR