Fangraphs: The Collaborative Process

weams

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/j-p-ricciardi-on-the-mets-collaborative-process/

"What's good about the group we have is that it's all-inclusive. I don't think any one person can take all of the credit for anything we've done, either the good or the bad. Sandy Alderson involves the people he brought in - Paul DePodesta, Dickie Scott, John Ricco, and myself. We're all involved in the decisions. It's never one person saying, "I was in charge of that.'"

"We all bring something a little different to the table, Sandy is very analytical. Paul is analytical as well. I'm probably the least analytical - the most old-school - of the four. My background is probably more? I wouldn?t say I?m a gut-feel guy, because that can be a very misleading term. I?m a little more of a throwback in the sense that if I like a player, I?ll fight for him, even if the numbers don?t add up to X, Y and Z. Of course, if the numbers show that he's clearly not the player we think he should be, I'm not stupid enough to say that we're going to put a square peg in a round hole."

Did the fact that the Mets hade to become mid market because of Madoff make them better at picking players?

Archived