The Davis solution - Byung-ho Park

Roll Tide

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a 29 YO feasting on A level pitching. How do you translate that to facing MLB SP?

Regress everything by a ton, and read every scouting report you can get your hands on. Just because a 29-year-old is feasting on lower-level pitching in a hitter's league doesn't mean he can't hit. There's just a lot of uncertainty. It's not like he's actually in affiliated A Ball at 29, he never had the opportunity to progress in a North American system.

I logged on and saw "Thread: The Davis solution - Byung-ho Park" and assumed for a second that Angelos had made a deal to sell OP@CY's naming rights to some Korean company I'd never heard of, so he could use the cash to pay CD to stay here.

Not too sure I could get used to "Byung-ho Park at Camden Yards".

Clay Davenport used to do the league translations at Baseball Prospectus, and still does those on his own site. He doesn't have 2015 done, but the 2014 KBO translations are here. It says that Byung-ho Park's 2014 line translates to a .249/.323/.443 line in an average MLB context.

Wow, they just about nailed Kang (.289/.359/.497 vs .287/.355/.461). I wonder how they project Park to be worse than Kang given that their stats were similar for 2014 and Park was much better if you go back another year.

Wow, they just about nailed Kang (.289/.359/.497 vs .287/.355/.461). I wonder how they project Park to be worse than Kang given that their stats were similar for 2014 and Park was much better if you go back another year.

I'm guessing Park effects. Nexen's run context was somewhere around "pre-humidor Coors playing with a pink rubber ball." Some of that may well be a big park factor.

Orioles have scouted Park and "have interest" per Roch today:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/11/this-that-and-the-other-104.html

The Orioles have scouted Korean first baseman Byung-ho Park, who was posted this week, and are believed to hold interest in the right-handed slugger. They've watched him play several times over the last few years. Park, 29, has hit 105 home runs and driven in 270 runs over the past two seasons for the Nexen Heroes in the Korean Baseball Organization. He batted .343/.436/.714 with 35 doubles, 53 home runs, 146 RBIs, 78 walks and 161 strikeouts in 622 plate appearances over 140 games this year.

Park is a career .281/.387/.564 hitter in parts of nine seasons. He didn't accumulate more than 201 at-bats until 2012 (469). Bids are being accepted until Friday. The team with the highest bid will have a 30-day negotiating period with Park, a two-time Most Valuable Player in the KBO. The posting fee is paid only if Park is signed.

Orioles have scouted Park and "have interest" per Roch today:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/11/this-that-and-the-other-104.html

The Orioles have scouted Korean first baseman Byung-ho Park, who was posted this week, and are believed to hold interest in the right-handed slugger. They've watched him play several times over the last few years. Park, 29, has hit 105 home runs and driven in 270 runs over the past two seasons for the Nexen Heroes in the Korean Baseball Organization. He batted .343/.436/.714 with 35 doubles, 53 home runs, 146 RBIs, 78 walks and 161 strikeouts in 622 plate appearances over 140 games this year.

Park is a career .281/.387/.564 hitter in parts of nine seasons. He didn't accumulate more than 201 at-bats until 2012 (469). Bids are being accepted until Friday. The team with the highest bid will have a 30-day negotiating period with Park, a two-time Most Valuable Player in the KBO. The posting fee is paid only if Park is signed.

That would be an interesting development. We've heard rumblings in the past that the O's position was "we ain't paying no posting fee."

Archived