MLBTR predicts 4/64m for Matt Wieters

wildcard

And that's why he'll get a QO.
He better.

I'm convinced the Braves make a big run after him. They're not quite comfortable with Christian Bethancourt's maturity - especially handling a young staff, and Matt's a hometown boy. Atlanta makes a big deal about local players - and that definitely played a role in their overpaying for Nick.

This is one of the things I'm confident will go right for the Orioles this off season, and I will be thankful for it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record: re-sign him. For all the reasons he was drafted and he's just starting to get healthy. If it's a baseball decision, do it. If it's a business decision, then sell the team, because ownership is not capable of running a successful team

For the record: re-sign him. For all the reasons he was drafted and he's just starting to get healthy. If it's a baseball decision, do it. If it's a business decision, then sell the team, because ownership is not capable of running a successful team

Fascinating.

Teams that don't make sound business decisions don't stay successful very long. If we didn't have Joseph I'd be interested in re-signing Wieters. But we do have Joseph, and therefore those dollars are better spent somewhere where we have greater need.

Teams that don't make sound business decisions don't stay successful very long. If we didn't have Joseph I'd be interested in re-signing Wieters. But we do have Joseph, and therefore those dollars are better spent somewhere where we have greater need.

If the O's believe that Wieters will be healthy for the next four years and average 20 HR and 80 RBI, what other players at positions for greater need do you see the O's signing that would put up those numbers?

If the O's believe that Wieters will be healthy for the next four years and average 20 HR and 80 RBI, what other players at positions for greater need do you see the O's signing that would put up those numbers?

How do you justify paying Wieters $15mm/year more than Joseph and Clevenger combined when his production will exceed theirs by maybe 5 home runs and 20 RBI? You don't think we can find an outfielder and/or a first baseman with that money? The team has lots of needs. I'm a big fan of Wieters. I was very glad when he returned. I think Joseph does a lousy job of blocking balls in the dirt, but I don't see Wieters as being $15 million better than the alternative.

How do you justify paying Wieters $15mm/year more than Joseph and Clevenger combined when his production will exceed theirs by maybe 5 home runs and 20 RBI? You don't think we can find an outfielder and/or a first baseman with that money? The team has lots of needs. I'm a big fan of Wieters. I was very glad when he returned. I think Joseph does a lousy job of blocking balls in the dirt, but I don't see Wieters as being $15 million better than the alternative.

You dodged the question. Who do you think the O's can sign that will hit 20 homers and 80 RBIs?

I am on the fence on Wieters. But I don't see a first basemen or an outfielder that will hit 20 and 80 that the O's are likely to sign.

You dodged the question. Who do you think the O's can sign that will hit 20 homers and 80 RBIs?

I am on the fence on Wieters. But I don't see a first basemen or an outfielder that will hit 20 and 80 that the O's are likely to sign.

I didn't dodge the question, I pointed out that it was misleading. The Orioles don't need one 20/80 guy to more than replace Wieters' production, as Joseph/Clevenger will be replacing the majority of that production anyway. If that $15 million nets them Scott Kazmir, that's a better use of the money.

Also, in the event Matt is completely healthy next year and hits 30 bombs for Atlanta, can we agree not to say "we should'a re-signed him"?

As long as the O's actually do make the QO. Btw, it wouldn't surprise me if he does have a big year for Atl.

I didn't dodge the question, I pointed out that it was misleading. The Orioles don't need one 20/80 guy to more than replace Wieters' production, as Joseph/Clevenger will be replacing the majority of that production anyway. If that $15 million nets them Scott Kazmir, that's a better use of the money.

I like Kazmir, not sure I would pony up $15 mil for him.

Again, not my money and not my decision to make.

Fascinating.

Just to have something on record. For later.

Archived