MLBTR predicts 4/64m for Matt Wieters

wildcard

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No need to hunt for a player, if DD can come up with a sound basis for believing that a market that healthy is likely to develop for Matt Wieters then indeed it becomes a no-brainer to offer the QO. My skepticism in this case revolves around need for a team to offer that much in the first place. Even 4/50 seems high to me, but then again so does 5/75 for Daniel Murphy, $22 million AAV for Jason Heyward and so forth. There are a lot of crazy numbers out there at the moment.
Crazy numbers out there every year.

Exactly...and that's never going to change.

Braves don't have to give up their pick.

It would be a second round pick

He better.

I'm convinced the Braves make a big run after him. They're not quite comfortable with Christian Bethancourt's maturity - especially handling a young staff, and Matt's a hometown boy. Atlanta makes a big deal about local players - and that definitely played a role in their overpaying for Nick.

a) We'd better QO Wieters. It's a classic "Heads we win, tails we don't lose" scenario. If he takes the QO, fine, we get a bit more offense next year which we'll need anyway, and it's a one year deal. And he can rotate between catcher, 1B, and DH. If he rejects it, even better, we get a first round pick and dump some salary that could be better used elsewhere.

b) If he does take a QO, I'd better not hear any trash like "well we wanted to offer Davis more money but Wieters accepted a QO" coming from the front office. If that happens we'll know they are completely full of it and once again in the "let's pretend our fans have the IQ of a kindergarten class" 1998-2011 mentality. If he accepts the QO, do what you have to do to make it work for one freaking year (non-tendering Matusz finally would be a great start BTW). But don't use it as an excuse for lowballing Davis.

Also, in the event Matt is completely healthy next year and hits 30 bombs for Atlanta, can we agree not to say "we should'a re-signed him"?

He hasn't hit 30 home runs yet, and I doubt he ever will. Especially since he'll need more rest as he gets older.

Well, we'll see.

As someone else said, there philosophy seems to be only make the offer if they actually want the guy back the next year for 15.8.

I think that's shortsighted.

Boras is his agent, and 99.9 chance he gets a contract elsewhere.

The team gets the competitive pick in return, if they offer the QO.

Archived