Expect a record number of qualifying offers this year

mdbdotcom

Last year, 12 QOs were made. All were rejected by the players. The only one who was close to taking one was Michael Cuddyer, who would have accepted had the Mets not offered him a 2/22 deal at the last minute. Of those 12, two ended up signing with their original team, Victor Martinez and Francisco Liriano.

This year, I've read in multiple publications that as many as 20 players could receive QOs. Here's the list, according to Daily Dish:

Pitchers 9 in 2015; 4 in 2014

Wei-Yin Chen

Zack Greinke

Brett Anderson

John Lackey

Ian Kennedy

Jeff Samadzija

Jordan Zimmermann

Hisashi Iwakuma

Yovani Gallardo

Catchers 1 in 2014 and 2015

Matt Wieters

First Basemen 1 in 2015; 0 in 2014

Chris Davis

Infielders 3 in 2015; 1 in 2014

Howie Kendrick

Daniel Murphy

Ian Desmond

Outfielders 6 in 2015; 4 (including Hanley Ramirez) in 2014

Dexter Fowler

Alex Gordon

Jason Heyward

Justin Upton

Denard Span

Colby Rasmus

Assuming all 20 players receive qualifying offers and turn them down, there could be quite a few players after New Years listening to 1-year pillow deal offers or looking for a return to their previous club, expecially when you consider some of the guys who cannot be offered a QO, like Price, Kazmir, and Cespedes, who will be among the best paid.

It will make for an interesting off-season, to say the least.

Do you think there is a possibility of Chen returning for one year if no one meets his asking price?

less risky to do a one year QO to somebody like that and gives them a chance to prove they are healthy.

Which is why if I was the Nats I wouldn't do it unless they don't think much of Taylor. I don't see teams wanting to give up a pick for Rasmus either. Maybe another Morales situation like 2014.

My point sometimes the team knows the player will not accept. This year I tend to agree with you. That week where they have to decide will be crucial.

Interesting that Mike Leake isn't on the list of players expected to get a QO. Even though he's not a lefty, I'd be fine having him instead of Chen. He's 2 and a half years younger and very dependable - and I assume he'll be cheaper. Like Chen, you can mark him down for 190 plus solid innings a year, but him being younger makes me think he's got more of those 190 plus seasons in him.

Interesting that Mike Leake isn't on the list of players expected to get a QO. Even though he's not a lefty, I'd be fine having him instead of Chen. He's 2 and a half years younger and very dependable - and I assume he'll be cheaper. Like Chen, you can mark him down for 190 plus solid innings a year, but him being younger makes me think he's got more of those 190 plus seasons in him.

Worse K and BB numbers than Chen while pitching in the easier league. I know he's a magic groundball guy, but I just don't see that as a huge plus.

He was traded mid-season so he's not eligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see it making sense to not sign any of those players assuming it's not a Cruz type situation. Correct me if I'm wrong but right now we have the 15th pick and if say, Boston and Arizona (since they're ahead of us but not in top 10) sign one of these players then we get the 13th pick, right?

I can see it making sense to not sign any of those players assuming it's not a Cruz type situation. Correct me if I'm wrong but right now we have the 15th pick and if say, Boston and Arizona (since they're ahead of us but not in top 10) sign one of these players then we get the 13th pick, right?

Yes, and if the White Sox, Red Sox, Diamondbacks, and Rays all sign a QO'd free agent (and the O's don't) we move up to #11.

No, not a realistic possibility. I think there's little chance that no one meets a price he and Boras are willing to accept.
I think the O's offer 4 years at an AAV between 10-12 M. So if someone tops that, he gone. I expect they will. Of The QO pitchers I'd rank them

Greinke

Zimmerman

Lacky

Chen

Archived