Connolly rates Chen returning to the Orioles at 1 out of 10

Going Underground

At the risk of upsetting a few more posters, old fashioned loyalty is no longer seen as an obligation. My how times have changed.

Whose loyalty? The players to the team or the owners/management's to the players? Because the old fashioned way was for a team to sign a guy as an 18-year-old for $500 bonus, pay him whatever they wanted for as long as they wanted him, then the minute he started to slip or got injured release him and have no obligation whatsoever. For the players it wasn't loyalty so much as it was they had no choice in the matter at all, and the fans saw that as loyalty. Players were loyal because their only other option was to go get a job. If Willie, Frank, or Spahn had been born in 1980 they'd have played their six years and then signed with the Yanks or Dodgers for 10/250.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the risk of upsetting a few more posters, old fashioned loyalty is no longer seen as an obligation. My, how times have changed.

Whose loyalty? The players to the team or the owners/management's to the players? Because the old fashioned way was for a team to sign a guy as an 18-year-old for $500 bonus, pay him whatever they wanted for as long as they wanted him, then the minute he started to slip or got injured release him and have no obligation whatsoever. For the players it wasn't loyalty so much as it was they had no choice in the matter at all, and the fans saw that as loyalty. Players were loyal because their only other option was to go get a job. If Willie, Frank, or Spahn had been born in 1980 they'd have played their six years and then signed with the Yanks or Dodgers for 10/250.

Say goodbye to the oldies but goodies ......

Because the "good ole days" weren't always good, and tomorrow's not as bad as it seems.

Billy Joel,

It was a rhetorical question. I figured Frobby would choose to ignore Kazmir's embarrassing stint in Indy ball.

I didn't answer it because it was rhetorical, and because I though the "point" you were trying to make was silly. I really don't care that Kazmir struggled four year's ago in Indy ball while coming back from surgery. He's been pretty solid for three years now against major league competition, as he was before he hurt his arm.

I didn't answer it because it was rhetorical, and because I though the "point" you were trying to make was silly. I really don't care that Kazmir struggled four year's ago in Indy ball while coming back from surgery. He's been pretty solid for three years now against major league competition, as he was before he hurt his arm.

I don't think it is silly at all to mention how a pitcher's career crated, to the point where he couldn't get guys out in Indy ball, before he found a "guru" that produced miraculous results.

You decided to make mention of his CAREER ERA+, that includes the time period before his struggles four years ago. If his struggles in Indy ball are not worth mentioning why include his 141 ERA+ season from 2006?

You were pushing an agenda and ignoring data that didn't support it.

I don't mind that you were, I was just completing the picture.

These athletes....as far as I'm concerned, Chen owes the Orioles for giving him a shot in MLB. Gonzo did not whine about being optioned. Neither did Ulbaldo whine when sent to the pen.

The mid season whining about being optioned and the need to pay a translator when obviously he doesn't need one, and lack of loyalty shows disturbing things about his attitude.

Bye bye Chen.

No other organization would have given Chen a big league shot? Nonsense, if wasn't the Orioles it would have been another club. And he never "whined" publicity, if at all. You'll see how valuable he was ... after he's gone.

I'm disturbed by this post. I'd like to send you to Taipei and tell you to interact with the press on a daily basis in Mandarin with no translator. And get it right every time, without offending extremely thin-skinned messageboard posters.

Bravo, thanks for posting your opinion, I agree.

When did Duquette? He should have extended Wei Yin two years, just like Jim Palmer said in June 2015. He would a been affordable, that was pre-Boras. Now we have to live with DD big mistakes.

I love it when people say we should have extended someone, as if the player has no say. Chen negotiated a deal that made him a free agent after four years. Why on earth would he have given that up?

I love it when people say we should have extended someone, as if the player has no say. Chen negotiated a deal that made him a free agent after four years. Why on earth would he have given that up?

How do you know Chen wouldn't have accepted a fair extension? We don't that. And if Duquette had offered one, DD would have informed us, imo. An extension offer would have lessened the impact of his loss.

Archived