Sun: Connolly's scale of return: 4 for Davis

weams

I was completely wrong. Completely. Of course they are now losers too. I just dislike them so I'll take my shots whenever they are open. Also, Teixeira was 6 years ago. Yeah, the top end salaries have gone up 30% in that time.

Salary inflation is clearly a factor. That will help Davis. I still think $150 mm is about the absolute ceiling of what he'll get. His track record just isn't consistent enough for a team to risk more.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Salary inflation is clearly a factor. That will help Davis. I still think $150 mm is about the absolute ceiling of what he'll get. His track record just isn't consistent enough for a team to risk more.

I think 150 is it as well. So we agree on this. But he is never signing for 125.

Those two massive seasons and the power in the other two of the last four combined with the Adderall explanation will play right into someone looking for massive power upgrades. Since there really is none. Heck, Cruz got almost 60!

While the current system may inflate salaries for some FA's, it most certainly depresses them for 1-6 year players. How would you like it if Machado could have declared after his rookie year or this year?

Might as well abolish the draft too and make it a real free enterprise system. No thanks.

I think with the Salary Cap, it would work fine. Nothing says you can't sign a 19 year old Manny to a 200 million dollar deal. Take the franchises from owners that can't make the playoffs once in a decade. Give the owners something to play for...

Those two massive seasons and the power in the other two of the last four combined with the Adderall explanation will play right into someone looking for massive power upgrades. Since there really is none. Heck, Cruz got almost 60!

Adam Dunn 15.9 rWAR through age 29, 1.0 at 30+.

Nelson Cruz 7.7 rWAR through age 29, 13.9 at 30-35.

Obviously these things can go more than one way. It's hard for me to imagine Davis being worth more than 20 WAR tops in his 30's, though. That's being generous.

Pretty sure the reserve clause had a lot to do with it.

He means on the front end. In amateur player acquisition. Since they are not part of the union, we can work something out there that makes it easy to do and fair for all.

While the current system may inflate salaries for some FA's, it most certainly depresses them for 1-6 year players. How would you like it if Machado could have declared after his rookie year or this year?

Might as well abolish the draft too and make it a real free enterprise system. No thanks.

Yes, but arbitration is just as important as limited yearly free agent signings in driving the market artificially upward for all players. I am not saying I proposed this...it was Finley. And it would clearly benefit the owners. Which is why it won't happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think with the Salary Cap, it would work fine. Nothing says you can't sign a 19 year old Manny to a 200 million dollar deal. Take the franchises from owners that can't make the playoffs once in a decade. Give the owners something to play for...

To Cap or Not to Cap should really be moved to a new thread, sound fun.

A hard cap and a hard floor plus a hefty dose of revenue sharing could work. The cap would be based on some percentage of MLB revenue thus guaranteeing the players get there fair share. How that share is divvied up would come down talent.

I don't know how you could legally negate all current players contracts. I think it would have to be phased in somehow so any current contracts are honored but only count against the cap a certain amount.

But its really not that necessary, the system is actually working as is. If you build your team from within, you can compete without spending tons of money. If you fail to build from within, the system is totally unfair and favors the biggest market team because they can spend to overcome talent deficiencies. But most teams would rather win cheap then win expensive, regardless of how much money the are able to spend.

All free agents sign after the exclusive period at this points. Not just all Orioles FAs. Look at history.

No. You are not correct in the bolded either. They have been a team that has been constructed without mega FAs because of market size. And have done well since Dan Duquette took over with what was permitted to be spent by ownership.

I defend this team and their management all the time, but I cannot get behind this excuse that Dan throws out there. The Orioles have been in the middle range of salary for the MLB. They could sign Davis and still have money to make other moves. Now, we cannot be the Yankees and have 5 20+ million dollar superstars on the team, but we can certainly afford to pay for Davis, Jones, and Manny.

I defend this team and their management all the time, but I cannot get behind this excuse that Dan throws out there. The Orioles have been in the middle range of salary for the MLB. They could sign Davis and still have money to make other moves. Now, we cannot be the Yankees and have 5 20+ million dollar superstars on the team, but we can certainly afford to pay for Davis, Jones, and Manny.

I'm pretty sure that Angelos gives Duquette a budget that DD has to live with. Could the O's afford more? Probably. But it doesn't really matter, because if PA says the budget is $120 million, then what is DD supposed to do?

Archived