Dan Connolly: O'Day a Closer?

weams

I ve been advocating the rebuild since before the deadline. This team will almost certainly be worse even if the budget is 120. I don't think it's going to be that high. They haven't replaced Cruz and attempts to replace Nick were only marginal. They are losing Davis, Chen, and O'Day. Wieters is gone as well for the comp. best they can do now is commit to playing for 2017. Trade off anybody you can get a good package for and try to extend Manny, Schoop,and Gausman. If an extension can not be reached deal everyone.

Rather than taking the middle road that never will work they need to go one way or the other. Bank the 40 million plus for 2-3 seasons and that will offset having this problem happening later on one player. If Angelos was a good owner he would agree to stock pile the money resources for later

Everyone wants to rebuild so they can be the Royals, who did everything right and rode their small-market roller coaster to a Championship. But what of the prior 30 years where they tried and failed to rebuild a contender, like, 17 times? The most likely outcome of trading all your good players for stuff that might be good in 3, 4, 5 years is that you're going to lose a lot of games and you're not much better off in five years. You can fix the farm system without burning the MLB team to the ground, and you can build a winning team without tanking a bunch of seasons on purpose.

Everyone wants to rebuild so they can be the Royals, who did everything right and rode their small-market roller coaster to a Championship. But what of the prior 30 years where they tried and failed to rebuild a contender, like, 17 times? The most likely outcome of trading all your good players for stuff that might be good in 3, 4, 5 years is that you're going to lose a lot of games and you're not much better off in five years. You can fix the farm system without burning the MLB team to the ground, and you can build a winning team without tanking a bunch of seasons on purpose.

The Astros are a hot ticket now too but they were unwatchable for years. Really, really bad. 100 loss bad. It'll be interesting to see how many championships they win during this run. So far they're 0-1.

These days, quality set-up men are needed. Starters don't go as far in games as they used to. Having a quality set-up man, like O'Day pitch in the 7th-8th inning to get to Britton as our closer, will bring a lot more quality pitching to the Orioles' staff. We have to get out of the old, conventional baseball wisdom to regard middle relievers as replaceable machine parts. Good teams that contend and win divisions and WS have quality set-up men. Using AAA or AAAA players as middle relievers won't work in this day and age.

That's not what I'm saying....Our minor league system sucks! If we lose all of ODay, Davis, Chen, and Wieters we are worse than the 500 team that we just finished with. That means we are trending in the wrong direction. Wasting 30-40 million on crap right now for the team to be the same or worse is stupid.

Hang on to your 1st rounder and the 3 Comp picks. Trade off the guys that are expensive or nearing free agent in the next two years. Extend Manny , Schoop, and Gausman. If they won't extend them sell high. Spend that 40 million later to make a real difference.

That's not what I'm saying....Our minor league system sucks! If we lose all of ODay, Davis, Chen, and Wieters we are worse than the 500 team that we just finished with. That means we are trending in the wrong direction. Wasting 30-40 million on crap right now for the team to be the same or worse is stupid.

Hang on to your 1st rounder and the 3 Comp picks. Trade off the guys that are expensive or nearing free agent in the next two years. Extend Manny , Schoop, and Gausman. If they won't extend them sell high. Spend that 40 million later to make a real difference.

I think that it would be foolish to think that an 86 year old man would save 40 million for a rainy day.

If you are willing to gamble on a rebuild at least address the possibility that the prospects will not work out - Buck, Adam, and Manny will be gone and the writers will still hate the Orioles Farm. The 40 million will have been donated to found the "Peter Angelos Memorial Technical Institute for Underprivileged Youth of Baltimore."

O

I think that it would be foolish to think that an 86 year old man would save 40 million for a rainy day.

If you are willing to gamble on a rebuild at least address the possibility that the prospects will not work out - Buck, Adam, and Manny will be gone and the writers will still hate the Orioles Farm. The 40 million will have been donated to found the "Peter Angelos Memorial Technical Institute for Underprivileged Youth of Baltimore."

So what your saying is that it's not what's best for the Orioles? At least your confirming something I've known for years that very few would admit.

Angelos should've thought about his age last offseason as he watched Duquette diddle daddle the with Cruz who he could've extended during the season. Then watched as he took most of the off season off while he looked for a way to leave for the Blue Jays.

Medically they made a decision to let Nick walk and couldn't even figure out a way to replace him with a decent player.

Now our other power hitter is a free agent along with our best RP and our best SP. Not to mention Wieters who is most likely to bounce back a year farther from TJ.

Whatever they get won't statistically replace what we are losing. The team can't possibly be better without a whole lot of luck.

Since Angelos has had control the farm system has been a disaster and that still hasn't changed!

Drungo said I wanted the team to be like the Royals/Rays...but they simply can't because the farm won't support it.

Why go half way this offseason? You know the team won't replace what we are going to lose. Why not make the right decision...what's best for the team for a change.

O

So what your saying is that it's not what's best for the Orioles? At least your confirming something I've known for years that very few would admit.

Angelos should've thought about his age last offseason as he watched Duquette diddle daddle the with Cruz who he could've extended during the season. Then watched as he took most of the off season off while he looked for a way to leave for the Blue Jays.

Medically they made a decision to let Nick walk and couldn't even figure out a way to replace him with a decent player.

Now our other power hitter is a free agent along with our best RP and our best SP. Not to mention Wieters who is most likely to bounce back a year farther from TJ.

Whatever they get won't statistically replace what we are losing. The team can't possibly be better without a whole lot of luck.

Since Angelos has had control the farm system has been a disaster and that still hasn't changed!

Drungo said I wanted the team to be like the Royals/Rays...but they simply can't because the farm won't support it.

Why go half way this offseason? You know the team won't replace what we are going to lose. Why not make the right decision...what's best for the team for a change.

Are you just looking for another excuse to complain about Duquette? Everyone knows that if they go into full rebuild mode (which I don't agree is necessary) you will be howling in every thread that he is not capable of pulling it off.

Are you just looking for another excuse to complain about Duquette? Everyone knows that if they go into full rebuild mode (which I don't agree is necessary) you will be howling in every thread that he is not capable of pulling it off.

I don't think Johnny would. But I could name a guy or two that sounds like.

I ve been advocating the rebuild since before the deadline. This team will almost certainly be worse even if the budget is 120. I don't think it's going to be that high. They haven't replaced Cruz and attempts to replace Nick were only marginal. They are losing Davis, Chen, and O'Day. Wieters is gone as well for the comp. best they can do now is commit to playing for 2017. Trade off anybody you can get a good package for and try to extend Manny, Schoop,and Gausman. If an extension can not be reached deal everyone.

Rather than taking the middle road that never will work they need to go one way or the other. Bank the 40 million plus for 2-3 seasons and that will offset having this problem happening later on one player. If Angelos was a good owner he would agree to stock pile the money resources for later

Whether or not they should rebuild imo depends in large part in what kind of packages can they get for Britton and for Adam Jones. This is probably the last year they can get a haul for Jones, so it's particularly important to make the rebuild decision quickly. 2 hauls could get them a relatively quick rebuild. I don't want a long protracted rebuild that's just patched together after waiting too long. PLAN AHEAD O's. Don't just play it by ear.

If you are going to rebuild you start by trading Machado. You only have him for three more years and it is unlikely the team is going to be competitive in that time. Manny is not likely to want to extend under those circumstances. There are plenty of teams who will pay more than the O's can dream of.

Archived