Rumor: Orioles to Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia (Wieters not to return?)

rd421

I am under the impression that teams cannot speak to pending free agents, even about non-binding deals, until five days after the World Series. I don't think the O's would risk getting in trouble with MLB over Jarrod Saltalamacchia. So I don't believe this rumor, and it has nothing to do with your post count. But if we sign Salty early in the FA period I may put some credence in your rumor, and then I'll wonder what the hell the Orioles were doing.

Salty is somewhat of a unique case, in that whatever team signs him will only be paying the minimum, since the Marlins are on the hook for $8 million. Therefore, there is really no negotiations to be had. Rather than money, I would think Salty's main driving force would be the opportunity for playing time. I could see a scenario where Salty's agent asked Baltimore if they plan on pushing to sign Wieters, and being once told no asking. "Would there be any interest in my guy?" An answer of "We definitely want to talk to you when free agency begins," pretty much seals the mutual assent without violating any rules, doesn't it? I'm not saying I think this has happened, but I could see how it could happen.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.332 OBP and .805 OPS last year, mostly from the left side which we sorely need. 30 years old. Depending on years and dollars I can see this. If true, I wonder what it means for Clevenger and also resigning Davis. It sure would be a weird rumor to make up.

Those are the kind that often get people to chase their tails most vigorously. What to you reckon the page count will be from this rumor from someone who appears out of nowhere claiming not to be an insider but, you know, just happens to be in possession of inside information.

Salty is somewhat of a unique case, in that whatever team signs him will only be paying the minimum, since the Marlins are on the hook for $8 million. Therefore, there is really no negotiations to be had. Rather than money, I would think Salty's main driving force would be the opportunity for playing time. I could see a scenario where Salty's agent asked Baltimore if they plan on pushing to sign Wieters, and being once told no asking. "Would there be any interest in my guy?" An answer of "We definitely want to talk to you when free agency begins," pretty much seals the mutual assent without violating any rules, doesn't it? I'm not saying I think this has happened, but I could see how it could happen.

I was unaware of these circumstances, and agree this makes the OP a lot more plausible. It's a bit unclear to me whether the O's have been free to have discussions with Saltalamacchia in this scenario, but perhaps they are. I guess we'll see if Salty is signed soon enough. He bounced back pretty nicely with the D-Backs after they picked him up.

Seems very unlike DD. Have the O's signed anybody super early in the FA period?

I'm also not sure if a team can sign this guy and only pay the minimum for the year. If he's a FA, then I think the Marlins have to pay him but he will also get a salary (not just the minimum) from his new team. I forgot the details on those rules. Anyone remember the details?

This thread made me laugh. Not laughing at the Op - just the second/third hand nature of the rumor. Reminds me of years ago when a poster named Wild Bill said a John Lackey signing was in the bag soon to be followed by a bunch of other big splashes. That guy had us all going.

The O's never sign anyone until the market 'sets itself'. We all should know this by now.

Hang on for the ride!

This thread made me laugh. Not laughing at the Op - just the second/third hand nature of the rumor. Reminds me of years ago when a poster named Wild Bill said a John Lackey signing was in the bag soon to be followed by a bunch of other big splashes. That guy had us all going.

The O's never sign anyone until the market 'sets itself'. We all should know this by now.

Hang on for the ride!

Regardless of how the off-season unfolds, whatever happens with Saltalamacchia will have no bearing on setting the market, and vice versa..

Hang on for the ride!

Whoever signs Salty will pay him the minimum. The Mariners will pay the balance of his $8 million. There will be no market in need of being set.

Being an "insider" sets you up for either a huge win or an even bigger fail. I wouldn't want to play that game. As far as I'm concerned, one poster played many on the board for fools with a work of fiction during the Teixeira nonsense. Take everything with a huge grain of salt.

Archived