Rumor: Orioles to Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia (Wieters not to return?)

rd421

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No risk, reasonable reward. I feel more comfortable with him on a league minimum deal than any other third catcher likely to be available, on the off chance that Joseph turns into a pumpkin or gets hurt .

Agreed. Salty is one of those guys I kept expecting to become a star and just never made it. He seemed to have a ton of raw hitting ability with power - kind of like Wieters.

Nothing to add, except you agree in principle, not principal. Carry on.

Maybe they're relaying things through DD's high school principal to avoid directly negotiating during the exclusivity period? :P

Or maybe OP's phone has a particularly annoying auto correct... seems like something mine would do!

Could be the understanding is contingent on Wieters not taking the QO. Good depth at C, LH bat at DH/1B, cheep, sound like a DD sign to me.

Plus the Boston "roots", which is a DD prerequisite in (dare I say) most instances. :eektf:

Could be the understanding is contingent on Wieters not taking the QO. Good depth at C, LH bat at DH/1B, cheep, sound like a DD sign to me.

Exactly. And because he's a lefty bat you can use a few ways, it allows them to keep a 3rd catcher - at least at certain points in the season. Salty's a nice cheap fit if they get him.

If this is true, I don't think the O's will make the QO to Wieters.

My first thought was "okay, if they're signing Saltalamacchia then they're definitely slapping Wieters with the QO." No messing around, no wondering if we'll insult him, just getting max value out of their Boras client. If by some bizarre set of circumstances Wieters accepts you trade him.

Being an "insider" sets you up for either a huge win or an even bigger fail. I wouldn't want to play that game. As far as I'm concerned, one poster played many on the board for fools with a work of fiction during the Teixeira nonsense. Take everything with a huge grain of salt.

This. It is a violation of board rules to lie. And we do not recognize ANY member as an insider when it comes to negotiated circumstances. Quite frankly, there are none.

The best "insider info" leak I remember seeing was the guy on the Seattle message board that said his mother was a travel agent and she had just booked a flight for the Mariners to fly Adam Jones from South America (Venezuela, IIRC) where he had been playing winter ball to Baltimore - presumably for his physical. Such a wild story, yet it turned out to be true.

Plus, a former #1 pick.

Perfect.

Given that this site has played host to a few hundred words detailing why the Red Sox shouldn't bring him back, we certainly can't pretend the feeling is mutual. Even in the wake of the Hanigan injury, Saltalamacchia just isn't a good fit for this team. On the field, Saltalamacchia was frustrating, to say the least, between his poor defense and his inability to make full use of his power due to his tendency to swing at just about anything thrown his way. Even his best season, buoyed as it was by a .372 BABIP, ended with him benched in favor of David Ross for the most important games of the year.

And yet...somehow it seems a shame that there's no place for him here. As frustrating as he was, Saltalamacchia was also easy to cheer for. There's a certain goofiness about him that seems like it would have been at home with the 2004 team (and, granted, did not exactly set him apart from the 2013 edition). Saltalamacchia is the player you wish was better not just because that would help the team, but because it would make it easier to justify keeping him around.

http://www.overthemonster.com/2015/5/8/8573255/jarrod-saltalamacchia-wanted-to-come-back-to-boston-and-i-wish-the

The best "insider info" leak I remember seeing was the guy on the Seattle message board that said his mother was a travel agent and she had just booked a flight for the Mariners to fly Adam Jones from South America (Venezuela, IIRC) where he had been playing winter ball to Baltimore - presumably for his physical. Such a wild story, yet it turned out to be true.

I think that was Dave Cameron. Back when he still lived at home.

So if this happens, we'd have three solid choices for catcher. Caleb Joseph, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Steve Clevenger. Not bad.

Not sold on Salty being a solid choice for catcher.

His name has come up before in OH over the years, and I am sure it will continue to come up in here.

Archived