ESPN: Turf Fields with Crumbs Cause Cancer

weams

Not sure how this is in the Orioles sections, but....

If this were the case then they should simply go to the manufacturer and see if an abnormal number of their employees have cancer too.

I referee football and when he kids go down on those fields the come up with them all over their face etc. I'm sure their is even some small amount swallowed.

When I remove my spikes they have a pile in each shoe.

Not sure how this is in the Orioles sections, but....

If this were the case then they should simply go to the manufacturer and see if an abnormal number of their employees have cancer too.

Orioles have to play on these fields 20 times a year at two AL East Stadiums.

I heard this is just part of the big AgriBusiness conspiracy. Doing it to get turf banned, so they can sell more grass seed and fertilizer. The Rays are lurking in the shadowy background, too, because it'll help them get a new, healthy open-air, natural turf stadium that just happens to include better access and lots of luxury boxes.

I can't figure out why soccer goalies, in particular, would have such a high number of cancer cases. Of all of the positions, one might suppose that goalie would be the least at-risk, not the most. Curious.

I just read a science news article that said Goalies have the highest exposure rate among their teammates.

I guess because they do not get substituted maybe?

I can't figure out why soccer goalies, in particular, would have such a high number of cancer cases. Of all of the positions, one might suppose that goalie would be the least at-risk, not the most. Curious.

I don't think goalies are on the ground that much more than field players. Not nearly so much that they'd be ingesting far more field crumbs than a midfielder or a striker. Hmm... what kind of cancer (I know, read the *&%* article)? Maybe there's another unrelated reason goalies get more cancer, like they have more concussions and the physical damage leads to a certain kind of cancer.

I just read a science news article that said Goalies have the highest exposure rate among their teammates.

I guess because they do not get substituted maybe?

That's what we're trying to figure out. It can't be the substitution rate, soccer only uses three subs at most per game so seven of the field players don't come out in any given match. Goalies dive for the ball and end up on the ground a lot, but field players slide and get tripped all the time.

That's what we're trying to figure out. It can't be the substitution rate, soccer only uses three subs at most per game so seven of the field players don't come out in any given match. Goalies dive for the ball and end up on the ground a lot, but field players slide and get tripped all the time.

Perhaps lying on your back, holding your knee with both hands and rocking back and forth helps to ward off cancer. Since the goalies do this the least, they aren't as protected from cancer. :laughlol:

Perhaps lying on your back, holding your knee with both hands and rocking back and forth helps to ward off cancer. Since the goalies do this the least, they aren't as protected from cancer. :laughlol:

I think 24 posts is the OH record for longest a soccer thread has gone before a joke about embellishment.

Archived