Can Tillman be fixed?

wildcard

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed -- for now. July could be a different story if we aren't in the race.

I think Tillman staying depends more on how he pitches more than how the team does. If he pitches well the O's probably try to extend him. He is not a Boras client so that may be possible.

If he doesn't pitch well it is going to cost him a lot of money with having two bad years in a row. The O's probably will not want him either.

Good starters are hard to find and Tillman may be affordable enough that the O's may want to keep him if he pitches well. As long as Buck and DD are managing the team I don't see a full scale rebuild. They will add and subtract players to try to win every year.

I think Tillman staying depends more on how he pitches more than how the team does. If he pitches well the O's probably try to extend him. He is not a Boras client so that may be possible.

If he doesn't pitch well it is going to cost him a lot of money with having two bad years in a row. The O's probably will not want him either.

Good starters are hard to find and Tillman may be affordable enough that the O's may want to keep him if he pitches well. As long as Buck and DD are managing the team I don't see a full scale rebuild. They will add and subtract players to try to win every year.

Why do you assume Tillman is permanently broken, and last season, was just an off year?

I think Tillman staying depends more on how he pitches more than how the team does. If he pitches well the O's probably try to extend him.

They tried last offseason and got nowhere. More importantly, if the team isn't contending in July I think the correct strategy is to make some trades for younger talent.

They tried last offseason and got nowhere. More importantly, if the team isn't contending in July I think the correct strategy is to make some trades for younger talent.

I was shocked that Tillman didnt accept the extensions, when it was offered like that.

I guess he is seeing big $$$$$ for other pitchers, and feel he can redeem himself, with a good season in 2016.

I was shocked that Tillman didnt accept the extensions, when it was offered like that.

We don't know how much the Orioles offered, so I have no opinion on whether he should have accepted. He certainly hurt his bargaining position by having an off-year in 2015, though.

We don't know how much the Orioles offered, so I have no opinion on whether he should have accepted. He certainly hurt his bargaining position by having an off-year in 2015, though.

A year ago, I was proposing this:

2016 (Arb 2): $7 mm

2017 (Arb 3): $10 mm

2018 (FA 1): $12 mm

2019 (FA 2): $15 mm

2020 (FA 3): $17.5 mm team option ($2 mm buyout)

2021 (FA 4): $17.5 mm team option ($2 mm buyout)

I'm not sure I'd do this now if I were the O's.

A year ago, I was proposing this:

2016 (Arb 2): $7 mm

2017 (Arb 3): $10 mm

2018 (FA 1): $12 mm

2019 (FA 2): $15 mm

2020 (FA 3): $17.5 mm team option ($2 mm buyout)

2021 (FA 4): $17.5 mm team option ($2 mm buyout)

I'm not sure I'd do this now if I were the O's.

I certainly wouldn't.

The only way I could see offering that would be if Tillman has a season like Arrieta's last year.

Well... remember our basic strategy is to simply hope for things to get better..

I saw Tillman pitch a lot last year and watched many of his bullpen sessions. I saw two main problems. First, his fastball velocity seemed down. He was sitting in the very hittable 90-91 MPH range. Second, there were games where he seemed to not have any control over his curveball. He would abandon it, making him a two-pitch pitcher with not enough separation between his fastball and change up.

Why so?

Because they don't have the money to supplement the current team with quality free agents and don't have the players in the minors to either help significantly or to trade to other teams for clear upgrades.

So if the team is going to compete then the starting pitching they already have needs to improve.

Archived