Top 50 MLB FA Predictions (MLB Trade Rumors)

orioles4lyfe

I think it's relatively close at those years and dollars, but I'd definitely go with Heyward. Signing him and extending Manny would give us two cornerstone pieces for many years to come.
I'm beginning t,o doubt they will be able to extend Manny. Unless they can demonstrate they are serious about contending I think he walks when he becomes a FA at 25, and signs the biggest contract in history. Think what Heyward will get? Manny will be younger, better offensively and defensively.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm beginning t,o doubt they will be able to extend Manny. Unless they can demonstrate they are serious about contending I think he walks when he becomes a FA at 25, and signs the biggest contract in history. Think what Heyward will get? Manny will be younger, better offensively and defensively.

So you think he signs before Harper?

It's kind of sad to see Tim Lincecum as no more than an afterthought on the list of free agents. He's currently rehabbing an injury, and the Giants want him back... on a minor league contract. He's still just a 31 year old lefty. Considering we don't really have a 5th starter, I'd be inclined to give him a major league contract with plenty of incentives. If Kazmir was able to make a successful comeback, why can't Lincecum?

I'm not sure Harper will be worth more. Manny has a way to go yet with the bat and is worth more on defense. Besides Harper has"issues".

Last time I checked Harper isn't the one that got suspended for throwing a bat on the field. I think to say he has issues while neglecting to mention the evidence of Machado's immaturity is being intellectually dishonest.

I don't know how much more there is in Machado's bat. I don't expect him to break 1K OPS while Harper broke 1.1K in 2015.

Last time I checked Harper isn't the one that got suspended for throwing a bat on the field. I think to say he has issues while neglecting to mention the evidence of Machado's immaturity is being intellectually dishonest.

I don't know how much more there is in Machado's bat. I don't expect him to break 1K OPS while Harper broke 1.1K in 2015.

Premium defensive position.

I'd rather have Manny in the clubhouse than Harper. Harper has numerous incidents of mouthing off to the press and getting involved in diva acts. Manny basically had one bad day. Harper gets hurt as well so I don't think he's a sure bet to be the continual 1K guy you think he is. When I watch Manny's AB I see him constantly improving. To go from 12 to 35 HR coming off surgery is pretty impressive IMO.

I'd rather have Manny in the clubhouse than Harper. Harper has numerous incidents of mouthing off to the press and getting involved in diva acts. Manny basically had one bad day. Harper gets hurt as well so I don't think he's a sure bet to be the continual 1K guy you think he is. When I watch Manny's AB I see him constantly improving. To go from 12 to 35 HR coming off surgery is pretty impressive IMO.

Manny didn't basically have "one bad day". Have you not seen him throw his bat down in frustration after a poor at bat or call he disagreed with? Did you not see his comments to the press when the O's renewed his contract?

And now you bring up Harper's injury history when it is Machado that has had season ending surgery twice already.

As for improving, yep, Machado certainly improved going from 12 to 35 HR coming off of surgery. Of course Harper went from 13 to 42 HR coming off an injury plagued (100 G) season.

Both are very good players with maturity and injury issues. Right now Harper is ahead. The season he had in 2015 was ridiculous, at 22 he led the league in Runs, HR, OBP (460), Slugging, OPS+. Did you know that despite 42 HR he only struck out seven more times then he walked?

The team doesn't suggest the opt out, the player does. The opt out favors the player more then the team.

I think Heyward would be smart to have one included so he can hit the market again at ~30 if he wants to.

Meh. The opt out gives a mid-level team like us to offer the BIG contract but a chance to manage that risk down the road.

Meh. The opt out gives a mid-level team like us to offer the BIG contract but a chance to manage that risk down the road.

The problem is if the player gets hurt or under performs the team is stuck with him. If he does well he opts outs.

The best cast scenario for a team like the O's is that he performs well for four years and then bolts.

It can be an acceptable risk but it favors the player.

It's kind of sad to see Tim Lincecum as no more than an afterthought on the list of free agents. He's currently rehabbing an injury, and the Giants want him back... on a minor league contract. He's still just a 31 year old lefty. Considering we don't really have a 5th starter, I'd be inclined to give him a major league contract with plenty of incentives. If Kazmir was able to make a successful comeback, why can't Lincecum?

I would love to have Lincecum but the reality is he is not a lefty and it's probably wise for him to not go through with the O's physical process if there are any lingering concerns.

Manny didn't basically have "one bad day". Have you not seen him throw his bat down in frustration after a poor at bat or call he disagreed with? Did you not see his comments to the press when the O's renewed his contract?

And now you bring up Harper's injury history when it is Machado that has had season ending surgery twice already.

As for improving, yep, Machado certainly improved going from 12 to 35 HR coming off of surgery. Of course Harper went from 13 to 42 HR coming off an injury plagued (100 G) season.

Both are very good players with maturity and injury issues. Right now Harper is ahead. The season he had in 2015 was ridiculous, at 22 he led the league in Runs, HR, OBP (460), Slugging, OPS+. Did you know that despite 42 HR he only struck out seven more times then he walked?

Both are potential Hall of Famers, but Harper could go down as one of the ten greatest hitters in the history of the game. He'll get the bigger deal, but since Boras is his agent he won't get that deal until 3 years from now. Manny might sign one sooner (or maybe not, but he's the one who mentioned an extension).

Archived