"Who's Chen?" Signs Chen.

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dae-Ho Lee, another power-hitting Korean 1B, is a free agent. No posting like Park; free to sign with any team. Market strong for Lee, too.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

">November 7, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dan is a sneaky sort.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/dae-ho-lee-becomes-free-agent-seeks-mlb-deal.html

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He was an MVP of Korean league, and second highest-paid player in Japan league (about 5M$ this year). He is first-base man with average defensive level (MLB level) and can do DH, of course. Simply, he is one of best hitters in Asia for now.

Just remember three things. First, he has been very consistent over years, no severe injury, no fluke season, no spoiled season. Always remained at highest ranking in hitting. He did not suffer when switched to Japan league, which means he will have very short transition time to MLB. That’s because of his hitting style.

Second, though he looks like homerun hitter, (and he is!), he’s pretty accurate hitter with high average. His homers are not from his powerful swing, but more from very compact and accurate swings to sweet-spot."

per windy96

"He was an MVP of Korean league, and second highest-paid player in Japan league (about 5M$ this year). He is first-base man with average defensive level (MLB level) and can do DH, of course. Simply, he is one of best hitters in Asia for now.

Just remember three things. First, he has been very consistent over years, no severe injury, no fluke season, no spoiled season. Always remained at highest ranking in hitting. He did not suffer when switched to Japan league, which means he will have very short transition time to MLB. That’s because of his hitting style.

Second, though he looks like homerun hitter, (and he is!), he’s pretty accurate hitter with high average. His homers are not from his powerful swing, but more from very compact and accurate swings to sweet-spot."

per windy96

Sounds like his agent wrote this...

I'm guessing it's tough for a 286 lb guy to be "nimble" around first base.

I was just saying the same thing

Here is is photo...probably a DH in the majors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Dae-ho

**** not likely to age well....he will be 34 in June., probably worth the gamble on a 2 year deal. Would probably have to go 3-4 to get him. Is he worth a 18 million dollar risk?****

Dumb question, but weren't we/aren't we banned from scouting in Korea over the high school thing?

Even if the Orioles were banned from Korea, his last three years have been in Japan. My biggest problems are that he's going to turn 34 in June and he has one of the highest listed weights of any baseball player I've ever seen. Maybe Asian players don't regularly lie about their weights like US players.

On a somewhat related note, last year in Fukuoka he was teammates with Rick Van Den Hurk and Dennis Sarfate, both of whom were essentially unhittable.

Even if the Orioles were banned from Korea, his last three years have been in Japan. My biggest problems are that he's going to turn 34 in June and he has one of the highest listed weights of any baseball player I've ever seen. Maybe Asian players don't regularly lie about their weights like US players.

On a somewhat related note, last year in Fukuoka he was teammates with Rick Van Den Hurk and Dennis Sarfate, both of whom were essentially unhittable.

Hurk still has friends on the club. And Brady is his head stand guru. I am sure the OS can get a good report.

At 286lbs, the question is if he's an upgrade at DH over Paredes. Even Softbank only had him playing first about a third of the time last year, and Buck is pretty picky when it comes to who he is going to let put a glove on.

If there's much competition for him, I don't know if I see this happening. I think you'll see them target more established, versatile guys like Steve Pearce or John Jaso before they go after an aging one-dimensional hitter. Wouldn't object to seeing them bring him in one a one or two-year deal with incentives or something, but I don't see how somebody like this should be one of their first choices. Probably a sign of a failed offseason if this is who we end up with.

Although I'd be more excited about them bringing back Sarfate, but that's a different discussion entirely.

Archived