MLBTR's Top 50 Free Agents Sorted by Position and QO

mdbdotcom

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Angels?src=hash">#Angels</a> announce Albert Pujols underwent right foot surgery, "expected to resume full baseball activities in four-and-a-half months."</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">November 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Five months. Hmm. April?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think ownership invests enough into the on the field product. A 120 million payroll is more than enough to win.

I would even prefer to see a flat or slightly reduced payroll with more money and freedom for DD to spend on international amateurs etc and perhaps improving on other resources. Clearly we are missing the mark somewhere.

That's all good and fun, but even if those things were to be improved it would take years to see dividends. We have the core in place now and no immediate help coming from within the organization. So spend enough money on FA to try to win now or blow it up. The in between stuff doesn't cut it.

That's all good and fun, but even if those things were to be improved it would take years to see dividends. We have the core in place now and no immediate help coming from within the organization. So spend enough money on FA to try to win now or blow it up. The in between stuff doesn't cut it.

How about the Nationals, Should they blow it up too? I mean, they already tried the spending money part.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/the-top-5-international-free-agents-available-this-offseason-210031074.html

SEUNG-HWAN OH, RELIEF PITCHER

The 33-year-old has put up some insane numbers over his 11-year career. He spent nine of those seasons in the KBO, but the last two have come in the NPB. Oh is coming off a season in which he posted a 2.73 ERA in 69 1/3 innings. He was even more impressive in 2014, posting a 1.76 ERA in 66 2/3 innings. Oh reportedly works with a fastball that averages around 93 mph and a slider. Major-league clubs have been scouting him since he left the KBO, so he'll probably draw a fair amount of interest on the market. While Jeff Passan ranks him as the 42nd available free-agent, Oh doesn't have to go through the posting fee process, meaning he could make more than some players ranked ahead of him.

TEAMS TO WATCH: Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers, Boston Red Sox

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Angels?src=hash">#Angels</a> announce Albert Pujols underwent right foot surgery, "expected to resume full baseball activities in four-and-a-half months."</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="
">November 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Five months. Hmm. April?

CTaIzD8UEAAg_3d.jpg:large

The Machine.

How about the Nationals, Should they blow it up too? I mean, they already tried the spending money part.

The Nationals have a top ten farm system and more talent on their major league club not to mention an owner that is more than willing to spend on free agency. They are not in the same situation as we are. Not sure why you chose them as a comparison?

The Nationals have a top ten farm system and more talent on their major league club not to mention an owner that is more than willing to spend on free agency. They are not in the same situation as we are. Not sure why you chose them as a comparison?

They did not make the playoffs. And they spent a ton. If Playoffs are the measure, they are simply wasting Harper's best years by not blowing it up after having tried the alternative.

That was kind of the point I was driving at.

I think if the Orioles are willing to spend at a level where they did last season, then they can if they spend that money wisely put out a very competitive team. Not saying a favorite, more of a punchers chance type team but at least one with some possibilities.

If the Orioles however decide to spend less money, giving DD less money to acquire talent with, then it will be very difficult to pull it off IMO. Talent matters and we are losing a ton of it from a team that was not good enough last year. You can't not replace that and expect to be successful. Replacing that on the FA market requires money, pure and simple. You don't have to go hog wild but you do have to have realistic amounts to work with.

At the end of the day you can't keep replacing every talented guy you lose with a lesser version of that player. At some point you have to go out and make some moves that improve you. Hopefully DD will have the resources to make that happen because I think he can give a hell of a go with an appropriate and sensible amount of payroll (115-125?)

I thought this would make the list a more valuable tool, because now you can see how players rank with each other by position. The number to the left of the player is his rank on the MLBTR Top 50. Players who received a QO are bold.

LHP - Starter

1. David Price

13. Wei-Yin Chen

18. Scott Kazmir

28. Brett Anderson

30. J.A. Happ

50. Rich Hill

RHP ? Starter

3. Zack Greinke

7. Jordan Zimmermann

8. Johnny Cueto

11. Jeff Samardzija

12. Mike Leake

14. Kenta Maeda

19. Ian Kennedy

20. Yovanni Gallardo

24. John Lackey

25. Hisashi Iwakuma

29. Marco Estrada

38. Mat Latos

39. Doug Fister

40. Mike Pelfrey

LHP ? Reliever

41. Antonio Bastardo

47. Tony Sipp

RHP ? Reliever

33. Darren O?Day

34. Joakim Soria

36. Tyler Clippard

42. Ryan Madson

44. Shawn Kelley

Outfielder

2. Jason Heyward

4. Justin Upton

6. Yoenis Cespedes

9. Alex Gordon

16. Dexter Fowler

21. Ben Zobrist

26. Colby Rasmus

27. Denard Span

32. Gerardo Parra

35. Austin Jackson

43. Steve Pearce

46. Chris B. Young

1B

5. Chris Davis

23. Byung-ho Park

48. Justin Morneau

2B

17. Daniel Murphy

22. Howie Kendrick

37. Asdrubal Cabrera

SS

10. Ian Desmond

49. Alexei Ramirez

3B

31. David Freese

C

15. Matt Wieters

DH

45. John Jaso

Comparing this list to our current roster... we should probably sign Cueto, Fister, Park, Span and Zobrist. Hehe. (But not really that funny... because our cupboard is BARE, folks.)

Comparing this list to our current roster... we should probably sign Cueto, Fister, Park, Span and Zobrist. Hehe. (But not really that funny... because our cupboard is BARE, folks.)

Park is gone, Cueto and Fister may be on the decline if not finished in Fister's case. No idea if Span will rebound from hip labrum surgery as a speed guy with defense first value

So that leaves Zobrist. I'm fine with him. Even though he will be 41 at the end of his deal.

Archived