Camden Depot: How to Predict Korean Hitters

weams

http://camdendepot.blogspot.com/2015/11/what-to-expect-from-byung-ho-park-and.html

At the time of writing this article, we have learned that a few teams (including the Orioles) bid on Byung-Ho Park, but did not have the privilege of winning said bid. The winning bid of nearly 13 MM went beyond our prediction of 6-8 MM as well as our industry source who suggested a bump up to 10-12 MM. As is typical of any signing, the team who wins is the team who values the player more than anyone else. At the moment, it is all a mystery, but the three suggestions I got were the Mariners, Rockies, or Padres. Eh, maybe.

More interesting to us here is what exactly can Park provide. We had him as a potential full time first baseman or designated hitter in our blueprint series and were willing to bid up to 8 MM with a 4/20 contract, which means we would have lost out on that. My idea was that his baseline was a right handed hitting Pedro Alvarez with an upside of a right handed poor man's Chris Davis, which is a 2012 Chris Davis.

It seems he's redundant to Seattle b/c they already have Cruz. Oh well, plan B (Park) already failed. I doubt the O's even make an attempt at Davis. I hope Mancini will have an amazing rookie of the year campaign. Its a long shot, but not as long a shot as the O's signing anyone good at 1B.

It seems he's redundant to Seattle b/c they already have Cruz. Oh well, plan B (Park) already failed. I doubt the O's even make an attempt at Davis. I hope Mancini will have an amazing rookie of the year campaign. Its a long shot, but not as long a shot as the O's signing anyone good at 1B.

You don't think its a long shot that Parks steps right into the big leagues and is an everyday player in 2016?

You don't think its a long shot that Parks steps right into the big leagues and is an everyday player in 2016?

No, I'd expect him to. There are large uncertainties in his performance, but given his resume, the Kang precedent, and his contract he'll be given every opportunity to be a major league regular this season.

Archived