connja

Who Would You Sign?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Sign?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't it Heyward?

I think that Upton is the best contract of the three speculated.

If I could get Heyward for 8 years I'd prefer him. He'd be 36 not 38 at the end of the contract,

Upton will be 35 at the end of the 7 year deal.

Davis 35 after 6

Plus if as I said in the other thread you can get an extra year of Upton for a few million over Davis' 6 year contract. Then he's a better value IMO.

I think that Upton is the best contract of the three speculated.

If I could get Heyward for 8 years I'd prefer him. He'd be 36 not 38 at the end of the contract,

Upton will be 35 at the end of the 7 year deal.

Davis 35 after 6

Plus if as I said in the other thread you can get an extra year of Upton for a few million over Davis' 6 year contract. Then he's a better value IMO.

Next year is Heyward's age 26 season, so he will be 33 in the last year of an 8 year contract.

I have to disagree. Dunn's value was purely as a bat and was an abomination in the field and on the base paths. Davis is a good 1st baseman and an average COF. How many guys can play average Defense can put up the number Davis has. CD has versatility which is highly valuable when you need another bat-only player in the line-up (Paredes) or Inter-league games.

The gap between Davis and Dunn in the field is bigger than the gap between what Markakis and Heyward. Especially when you take into account how Kakes was swinging the bat

I will readily grant that Davis is a much better defender than Dunn ever was. That said, though age 29, Dunn had an OPS+ of 132, had hit 316 homers and had accumulated 15.9 rWAR even with his bad defense. Davis has a 122 OPS+, has 203 homers and has accumulated 14.7 rWAR. Offensively, they are similar style players who homer a lot, strike out a lot and walk a lot.

My larger point is that you can't really draw a conclusion about how a player will age based on a comp to one player who has been somewhat similar through a certain age. Markakis' career arc says very little about how Heyward will do, and certainly no more than Dunn's says about how Davis will do. I like the fact that Heyward is four years younger and hence, if the two players follow a "typical" aging arc, he has several more prime years left compared to Davis.

Only problem is the same article that has Davis getting six and Upton getting seven has Heyward getting 10 years. I said I'd be happy with 8!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/2015-16-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html

No the problem is with your math. Heyward would be 35 at the end of a 10 year contract. You had him at 38.

He's 26 according to bbref ... So he'd be 36. So yeah I was off a bit.
35. If next year is the first year of his 10 year contract and he is 26 then the last year he is 35. You have 10 fingers. Start with you right thumb and count from 26 till you get to your left pinkie. It should all become clear to you.

35. If next year is the first year of his 10 year contract and he is 26 then the last year he is 35. You have 10 fingers. Start with you right thumb and count from 26 till you get to your left pinkie. It should all become clear to you.

I think he's starting with a different finger. :)

Btw, I'd pass on Upton - partly because of bad vibes about his attitude. He's had tendency to be a bit too demonstrative after homeruns - for my taste.

Archived