Dan Duquette ON MLBNETWORK

weams

With Dan highlighting left-handed OF here.

Aside from Span whose injury status is probably going to delay him to late, Ethier and Crawford would be effectively free in trade talent wise assuming Friedman and Duquette could agree on how much the Orioles ought to pay them.

And I'm sure Buck's advocating for Nick here, however awkward those talks would be.

Eithier has a third year option that kicks in. So he really is not anything that would help us. The money would be stupid for this team to pay him. Roy Firestone thinks he'd be great. So different opinions.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eithier has a third year option that kicks in. So he really is not anything that would help us. The money would be stupid for this team to pay him. Roy Firestone thinks he'd be great. So different opinions.

That vesting option has a 2.5 mil buyout.

All depends on what the Dodgers are willing to eat monitarily, and what the Orioles would have to give up for that to happen. He is no spring chicken but I would be happy with Ethier for half price. The guy has OPSed below 120 once in the past eight seasons.

With Dan highlighting left-handed OF here.

Aside from Span whose injury status is probably going to delay him to late, Ethier and Crawford would be effectively free in trade talent wise assuming Friedman and Duquette could agree on how much the Orioles ought to pay them.

And I'm sure Buck's advocating for Nick here, however awkward those talks would be.

All reasonable back up plans. I'd put Jay Bruce in there to along with Markakis and Ethier. Signing Kim makes since. Low risk, high reward. No lost pick. High OBP. I see it like this for LF and 1B/DH

Plan A: Davis and Kim

Plan B: Upton and Alvarez

Plan C: Bruce and C.Carter

Obviously you could mix and match guys but you see where I'm going.

All reasonable back up plans. I'd put Jay Bruce in there to along with Markakis and Ethier. Signing Kim makes since. Low risk, high reward. No lost pick. High OBP. I see it like this for LF and 1B/DH

Alex Gordon

John Jaso

Matt Joyce

Justin Morneau

David Murphy

Gerardo Parra (yeah I know)

Denard Span

Will Venable

Still a ton of unsigned talent of varying degrees that fit the LH OF or 1B/DH profile. You can even convert Daniel Murphy if his market isn't as high as he hopes.

I don't understand why opt outs "don't work in Baltimore". Did he elaborate on that?

(Lawyer's answer)

I think what Duquette is saying is that the team can't afford to take the risks of one of these ultra-long contract extensions if it is not also getting the rewards for an equally long time.

Personally, I disagree.

Plan Oriole: Pearce and whatever we already have.

It would be very hard to sign Manny to an 8-10 year deal without giving him an opt-out. So, I'd guess if we try to extend him, it will be a deal that only buys out 2-3 free agent seasons and puts him on the open market at 27-28.

The Orioles would probably be better off, especially in terms of long-term wins per dollar, if they traded Manny a year before he is a free agent.

That vesting option has a 2.5 mil buyout.

All depends on what the Dodgers are willing to eat monitarily, and what the Orioles would have to give up for that to happen. He is no spring chicken but I would be happy with Ethier for half price. The guy has OPSed below 120 once in the past eight seasons.

Even if traded? I thought I heard someone say otherwise.

Archived