Rasmus first player to take the QO....will Wiets follow?

Crabcakes

I kept saying that given the amount of money involved and the hiccups last season, it was only a matter of time, before somebody took up the team on a QO.

It's a bit of a gamble for Rasmus, but more about the market. Much less COF types hitting the market next year when he can cash in. IF all goes according as planned.

It's a bit of a gamble for Rasmus, but more about the market. Much less COF types hitting the market next year when he can cash in. IF all goes according as planned.

He has clubhouse baggage too, so taking a one year deal at a substantial pay raise over 6 million, isn't a bad gamble.

Another good year, and he should see a solid multi-year deal.

Up to now, he has made 23 million in career earnings.

I hope they change the CBO and make it a one and done on the QO. If you offer it, and a player accepts he shouldn't be able to be offered it again.

The flip side though, is a player can gamble on himself each season and accept it and do really well for himself. The downside is every season is a one year deal.

I see Rasmus working out at least a 3 year deal with Houston. I don't think Houston is mad he accepted. I don't know how the O's would feel about MW accepting. Probably happy given everyone that's leaving. At this point I just want to see the O's spend money. They're worse ways to spend that on a 1 year deal for MW.

There are two major reasons that it should have been obvious to us all that Rasmus would accept the QO. First, as you may recall, Rasmus cited the number of trucks in Texas as one of the reason he signed with Houston last year. Apparently, Texas is still quite truckish. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly:

[video=youtube;CRFi-xI8nDk]

I hope they change the CBO and make it a one and done on the QO. If you offer it, and a player accepts he shouldn't be able to be offered it again.

The flip side though, is a player can gamble on himself each season and accept it and do really well for himself. The downside is every season is a one year deal.

Why? Just curious.

Because the QO really hurts the player. Puts him at a disadvantage because the loss of a pick is associated. Players shouldn't be subjected to that more than once.

Yeah, but I mean that was the whole point. It was something the owners negotiated to put a slight tamper on free agency spending. You are probably right in that it really has just hurt a few selected players and hasn't really slowed down the increase in free agent contracts (of course the players and owners will have data to use to make those arguments in the near future).

Archived