How to Save The Wieters Overpay in the Current Roster

weams

Yea, the surest way to win on a budget is to trade your assets with a legitimate chance to way outperform their salaries.

"Outperforming their salaries" isn't a short-term need, winning in 2016 is. Or could be, neither of us knows what DD's expectations are or, perhaps more to the point, what ownership's expectations are when it comes to DD's performance and how it's measured.

As I said earlier, I would have enthusiastically traded Britton for quality MiL help if such a deal could have been found. I wouldn't trade Gausman regardless, nor would I further deplete the farm system if I were making the decisions. At the moment I would write off 2016 and shift into medium-rebuild mode and damn what Adam Jones thinks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who closes? Our BP would be a complete disaster without ZB. We're already in trouble if we don't retain DOD.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face:

Bullpens are irrelevent unless the rest of your team is good enough to give them a lead.

The 2015 Orioles weren't good enough to do that, and 2016 Orioles probably won't be, either.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face:

Bullpens are irrelevent unless the rest of your team is good enough to give them a lead.

The 2015 Orioles weren't good enough to do that, and 2016 Orioles probably won't be, either.

The 2012 Orioles were probably a mid-to-high 70s win team if they'd had an average bullpen.

Why? $3.2M is extremely reasonable for a lefty with his numbers.

It seems that the consensus is that the budget is exceptionally tight. Matusz might be worth a win over replacement. I'd much rather put his salary towards a starting pitcher, and outfielder, or a DH/1B. And get a $500k arm to fill his bullpen role.

I don't think there's any need to trade anybody. Not simply to make budget.

First of all, I fully believe they only offered him the QO b/c they were fine w him coming back. From everything they've said publicly, that's how they operate.

Secondly, we're still way under payroll from the last few years. Like 30 million under. With Wieters.

And the Tigers couldn't maximize even their outstanding offense due to an imploding bullpen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And after moving from the Tigers to the Red Sox, Dombrowski's first big move is to trade for one of the game's best closers. Maybe his hands were tied in Detroit.

You keep presenting that as a possibility when it's not. Wieters is under a guaranteed contract now.
I like Matt Wieters.

RZ asked me if i was in favor of the move. I was not, I wanted the pick and part of that chance was to offer the Qualifying Offer. Matt took it when I said there was no chance that a Boras client would be first. We have him until June 15 and unless we pack him with our competitive balance pick we are paying all of that salary other than the pro rata after the trade.

It is 16 million this year. It is not 16 million for seven years.

It does not stop the Orioles from signing anyone for 16 million for seven years. It just means they don't get 18.

Archived