How to Save The Wieters Overpay in the Current Roster

weams

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Cubs solution to arbitration raises.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cubs raise ticket prices by an average of 10*percent <a href="https://t.co/oD8NNfipvL">https://t.co/oD8NNfipvL</a></p>— HardballTalk (@HardballTalk) <a href="

">November 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You keep presenting that as a possibility when it's not. Wieters is under a guaranteed contract now.

Well that is my question. Couldn't both sides agree to a buyout? Or does the bargaining agreement prevent that? I understand that the O's can't renege on the offer and that Wieters is under guaranteed contract, but teams can buy out guaranteed contracts if the players (or managers) agree, correct?

Well that is my question. Couldn't both sides agree to a buyout? Or does the bargaining agreement prevent that? I understand that the O's can't renege on the offer and that Wieters is under guaranteed contract, but teams can buy out guaranteed contracts if the players (or managers) agree, correct?

One last time. The 16 million is guaranteed. The one side can't lose their money. Their is NO basis for that side to negotiate ANYTHING. You buy it out by writing a check for 16 million and saying goodbye. That is the only thing you can negotiate.

A manager's contract gets bought out so that they are free to manage elsewhere. So maybe you can save a little bit to do that. Matt was already a free agent. He CHOSE to accept 16 million. No one forced him.

Only if MLB and the MLBPA agree. Like when ARod's contract with Texas was re-structured. Everybody got into the act.

A manager's contract gets bought out so that they are free to manage elsewhere. So maybe you can save a little bit to do that. Matt was already a free agent. He CHOSE to accept 16 million. No one forced him.

I understand. But he chose the QO because his other choice was free agency with compensation attached. Let's say he was hearing that teams were interested in 4/$25 when comp pick was attached. That would suggest they could go to 4/$32 with no comp pick. Toss in a $3M buyout, and he is at 4/$35. That changes his calculus by $10M. Maybe I am off base but if I am Wieters I still see incentive to go on the market this year when I am 30 years old instead of 31 years old (and who knows what might happen next year).

Who closes? Our BP would be a complete disaster without ZB. We're already in trouble if we don't retain DOD.
I agree with you. I don't understand this desire to trade Zach Britton. Who would close for us if Britton is traded away? Especially if the team fails to keep Darren O'Day? Unless the Orioles could acquire a proven stud SP or corner outfielder with demonstrated OPS for Britton, I certainly wouldn't trade him away.

I agree with you. I don't understand this desire to trade Zach Britton. Who would close for us if Britton is traded away? Especially if the team fails to keep Darren O'Day? Unless the Orioles could acquire a proven stud SP or corner outfielder with demonstrated OPS for Britton, I certainly wouldn't trade him away.

Mychal Givens says hello.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived