How to Save The Wieters Overpay in the Current Roster

weams

Got it. I was asking why you would think that would be of value to the Orioles. Seriously. I know I am being dense here. Help me with this.

It would have saved us $12.8M. Eat $3M to save $15.8M. I honestly think we can get the same production out of Joseph and a backup C. I would rather have Kazmir and Joseph than Wieters and Joseph. Anyway, it is probably moot if it needs MLBPA and MLB consent.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would have saved us $12.8M. Eat $3M to save $15.8M. I honestly think we can get the same production out of Joseph and a backup C. I would rather have Kazmir and Joseph than Wieters and Joseph. Anyway, it is probably moot if it needs MLBPA and MLB consent.

Explain why Matt would agree to giving back his 16 million first please. It never even gets to any other parties. It's MATT'S money now. No one else gets to negotiate it.

I don't disagree that if he decided that he did not want his money, that your plan might be of interest.

Explain why Matt would agree to giving back his 16 million first please. It never even gets to any other parties. It's MATT'S money now. No one else gets to negotiate it.

Same reason *almost* all FA's turn down QO's. To go on the market for a long term contract with more guaranteed dollars. $25M (with comp pick attached) might not be enough, but maybe $35M is. If he gets some forearm tightness in May, that $15.8M could be the last dollar he earns in MLB. Anyway, it is moot, mdbdotcom answered my question so I will not argue it further.

Same reason *almost* all FA's turn down QO's. To go on the market for a long term contract with more guaranteed dollars. $25M (with comp pick attached) might not be enough, but maybe $35M is. If he gets some forearm tightness in May, that $15.8M could be the last dollar he earns in MLB. Anyway, it is moot, mdbdotcom answered my question so I will not argue it further.

Ok. So what you are saying is that he would rather go somewhere else, that he would give back his 16 million, he would take a smaller amount, and then shop with the other teams that Scott Boras determined did not want to sign Matt o a multi-year deal this seaosn without playing a full year healthy. Ok. I can see that.

I did not see that you wanted Matt to shop for a job again. It appeared that he did not want to do that in his decision yesterday.

Is the plan to replace him with one of the horde of options in the minors or find someone on the free agent market that will perform as well or better for less?

I'll answer your question with a question, is a pitcher who was league average last year, and well below league average in 2014 worth $13M? If $13M is the going rate for a league average pitcher on the free agent market, well then we're screwed, particularly if the goal is to reduce some payroll to accommodate nearly doubling Wieters salary.

I'll answer your question with a question, is a pitcher who was league average last year, and well below league average in 2014 worth $13M? If $13M is the going rate for a league average pitcher on the free agent market, well then we're screwed, particularly if the goal is to reduce some payroll to accommodate nearly doubling Wieters salary.

Something is worth exactly what someone else will pay for it.

Can the O's trade Ublado for a bag of balls and expect to get an equivalent performance for less on the open market?

If they had anyone in the minors I felt could even last the season as a #5 I would be more inclined to agree with you.

I don't see them being able to sign two guys that can be plugged in this offseason.

And yes the ultimate answer might be that we are screwed.

Archived