Will YOU Cheer for Matt Wieters Opening Day

weams

Cheer Matt?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Cheer Matt?

• Yes, Matt is a Great Oriole
    • No, He is stealing money

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't know why you would boo someone who came back from injury and took an offer to stay with his present team. He did not manipulate or trick the front office. He took an offer when he saw his market was not that strong. He said all the right things and it is one year.

Met him at a BARCS thing and seems like a regular dude. Not that it makes him a better or worse player.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know why you would boo someone who came back from injury and took an offer to stay with his present team. He did not manipulate or trick the front office. He took an offer when he saw his market was not that strong. He said all the right things and it is one year.

Met him at a BARCS thing and seems like a regular dude. Not that it makes him a better or worse player.

I agree ...also I think he's likely to have a very good year at the plate. That would be mutually beneficial despite what happens beyond 2016

Why is this a pole question? I rarely ever post. This pole is so dumb it actually inspired me to post and say this is ridiculous.

Please tell me that spelling POLL ..... POLE instead was an attempt at sarcasm? If not this is the most hilarious post ever :)

Why is this a poll question? I rarely ever post. This poll is so dumb it actually inspired me to post and say this is ridiculous.

Some folks are upset that Matt accepted the qualifying offer. They feel that he hurt Orioles by returning.

Some folks are upset that Matt accepted the qualifying offer. They feel that he hurt Orioles by returning.

How dare he not take our FO budgetary matters into consideration while making his decision. I think this flagrantly selfish act shows how much of a cancer he's going to be in the clubhouse!

But the idea that fans wouldn't cheer for him simply for accepting the offer that was given to him to return as an Oriole just seems silly. The poll results seem to support the notion that this was poll was a silly idea. That is all. I will go back into hibernation now.

How dare he not take our FO budgetary matters into consideration while making his decision. I think this flagrantly selfish act shows how much of a cancer he's going to be in the clubhouse!

Yea I doubt any of the people who are actually effected by this, the players, are mad at him for taking that money and coming back. Good for him.

Has he ever been busted for 'roids or any other substance? No

Has he ever said he grew up a Yankee fan and Rick Cerone was his boyhood idol? No

Is he a slacker? No

Has he badmouthed the organization publicly? No

Did he hold out while he was under contract? No

Am I a Twins fan? No

Is he an Oriole? Yes

Of course I'll cheer for him.

I think Matt Wieters will be an over-paid and under-talented first baseman in 2-3 years. That said, how can you not root for him on opening day??? The 15.8MM QO was just that - AN OFFER. And he took it. Business. And maybe not a bad turn of events for the Os, though I concede that it may impede our FA activity to a degree. Then again, there was little chance we would be making a big, cash-heavy splash anyway...

No player should ever be booed (or not cheered) for accepting an offer. The only person to blame here is the DanyD, if you think this move is blame worthy. Wieters is doing exactly what every employee should.

The 15.8MM QO was just that - AN OFFER. And he took it. Business.

Exactly right. I personally think the FO made a rather large blunder by making the offer in the first place, but nobody should fault Matt for accepting it if he thought it was in the best interests of himself and his family.

However, I worry that if he doesn't put up the +/-3WAR numbers many people here are projecting, midway through the season those cheers will turn to boos and a few people will start to resent the expenditure. Perhaps more than a few, and that would be sad.

It's apparently a thread. In the last few days we've had a thread endorsing the act of posting lies and now a poll about whether or not fans will cheer for a guy on their team.

Getting pretty insane around here for sure, I know they need to drum up reasons to argue, I mean discuss, but, seriously, let's discuss something worth discussing.

Archived