Britton's trade value

tntoriole

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's have several holes; if we trade Britton without having O'Day, we create another so I would only trade him if we thought the return closed two holes.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Forget about 2016. This would be about getting younger and better long term. It would hurt to lose Britton, but it would be worth it to get a couple of legit MLB ready prospects. AJ Reed could be our replacement for Davis under team control through 2022 at a fraction of the price. Not a bad haul for a couple years of Britton. Only question is whether Houston would do it.

I would rather try to figure out who is gonna close games than who is gonna play LF, RF, 1B etc....

Thank you. This is a refreshing and (I think) healthy way to look at this. Also, if there is any area where the O's seem to have plausible in-house contributors for 2016 it is the bullpen.

Do you think Reed for Britton is a reasonable trade for both sides?

That's such an excellent question. I honestly don't know. I can look at that trade from both sides and say "That's a steal" or "That's insane" and both make sense. Everything about Reed's production this year makes him look like an impact bat, but everything I've seen of Reed up close screams solid regular, nothing more. I'm a dummy when it comes to Reed. Can't figure out what to make of him.

I'd personally expect 2-3 guys from any team for Britton. I'd like to get 2 of the Astros top 10 guys and a third guy from the lower levels of the minors. If it's a team with a weaker farm than expect 3 of the teams top guys.

I just don't see the Orioles losing ODay and also trading Britton. I wouldn't complain if it happened for the right return. But I just can't see it!

Thinking out loud perhaps there is something real with the Jim Johnson thing. Maybe they bring him in with the idea of replacing one of these guys for a season or two. Resigning ODay at the dollars mentioned if you can get surplus value at 3 positions by trading Britton could be a very sound decision.

That's such an excellent question. I honestly don't know. I can look at that trade from both sides and say "That's a steal" or "That's insane" and both make sense.

Those are the best kinds of trades. Been a while since the O's have done a big trade like that. Does not seem to be DD's m.o.

That's such an excellent question. I honestly don't know. I can look at that trade from both sides and say "That's a steal" or "That's insane" and both make sense. Everything about Reed's production this year makes him look like an impact bat, but everything I've seen of Reed up close screams solid regular, nothing more. I'm a dummy when it comes to Reed. Can't figure out what to make of him.

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned his weight. It's been an ongoing issue for him. He's not very athletic.

The problem is that the O's think they are contenders. I'm getting a mid 80's feeling about the team. They will be hard pressed to put the 81 team they had last year, talent wise, back on the field. The balance sheet is against us. We have traded assets, right or wrong, and now have nothing (Norris, Parra, Miller,) to show for it. We need to acquire assets. Two and three for one trades. Trading pieces and replacing them with no comp free agents. We need to re-stockpile. We can remain competitive while doing it. You should either be all in or building for something big. We know the Orioles will not be all in. They went for it, in their own limited way, the last 3 years. Time to recognize where this team is and do what's necessary.
Until the Os are not contenders, they will act like they are. Whether folks on a message board like that fact or not. I'm not saying it is the smartest route to success, but the patch, repair, and regrow approach is a legitimate business model if not the most attractive.

Mets would be nuts to even consider it. But if he is available I would give Britton, Schoop, and Bundy.

Why would the O's want to trade Schoop? This is a big part of the

O's infield and coming into his own. Schoop will hit and probably

this year. I like him at second base he's a steady ball player.

Why would the O's want to trade Schoop? This is a big part of the

O's infield and coming into his own. Schoop will hit and probably

this year. I like him at second base he's a steady ball player.

I love Schoop, but it is going to take a lot more than Britton to get a true ace (already had TJ) under team control through 2019. Only way a deal like this works for the Mets is if we give up something that helps them. They are not going to give us an ace for four years for a couple seasons of a relief pitcher. We will have to offer something like Schoop, and I would be inclined to do it.

I love Schoop, but it is going to take a lot more than Britton to get a true ace (already had TJ) under team control through 2019. Only way a deal like this works for the Mets is if we give up something that helps them. They are not going to give us an ace for four years for a couple seasons of a relief pitcher. We will have to offer something like Schoop, and I would be inclined to do it.

Do you think him already having had TJ is a good thing?

Plenty of guys out there have already had two TJ surgeries and the number with three under their belt is growing.

Archived