Duquette talks (Orioles to spend extensive resources in FA)

weams

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You would not be alone. In fact - Stotle has been telling us for years that Dan is a poor GM. But you know me. Always the contrarian. Also, he is our EVP until 2019. For better, or for worse.

I don't think he's a bad baseball guy. I think the Orioles have not shown a clear long term plan, and the operations have not pointed towards anything sustainable. As noted many times, I think finding themselves in the playoffs in 2012 was a bad thing, even if it was fun.

He says TOR at one point, but he means MOR that could be tops in the Orioles rotation.

At about the 1:00 mark...."There's a couple twos and threes we could be competitive on."

That doesn't sound like Price to me. More like Kazmir or Leake, but I'd take a shot at Happ, too, maybe Fister as under the radar guys.

So if your information was that Wieters had several offers out there in excess of 40M, you wouldn't have risked QO? I have an idea that Buck speaks with PA too, and if he wants players back it could be PA will up the cash in spite of what DD may be recommending.

We should be pursuing FA SP. There are a ton out there. The only landmines who are likely to get significantly overpaid are Cueto and Gallardo. We come away with just about anybody else from the top or middle of the FA SP class and I'll be pretty happy.

It appears Dan is interested in two FA starters.

I don't think he's a bad baseball guy. I think the Orioles have not shown a clear long term plan, and the operations have not pointed towards anything sustainable. As noted many times, I think finding themselves in the playoffs in 2012 was a bad thing, even if it was fun.

I was giving you the compliment of vision on how he would work out. You were always one who felt we should have better.

So if your information was that Wieters had several offers out there in excess of 40M, you wouldn't have risked QO? I have an idea that Buck speaks with PA too, and if he wants players back it could be PA will up the cash in spite of what DD may be recommending.

I think the bottom line is you only offer a QO if you are comfortable with the player accepting (regardless of the odds). Wieters accepting doesn't sink 2016, but you have to account for the possibility when you're laying out your plans for the offseason.

I don't think a long term plan is part of his job description with the Orioles. That has never appealed to Angelos.

And I do understand why we sometime will disagree. I respect your knowledge and your contacts and your abilities. As someone still here in the market, I can tell you that the last four years have been the best thing for the this team and it's fan-base. Not the worst. Even if accidental and not the result of a plan.

I think the bottom line is you only offer a QO if you are comfortable with the player accepting (regardless of the odds). Wieters accepting doesn't sink 2016, but you have to account for the possibility when you're laying out your plans for the offseason.

I agree. I would never have been comfortable with not offering. No matter the risk. And you could not trade him during the season because he was still broken. It's just a matter of injury here. Not bad planning.

Big injuries have big consequences.

Pretty encouraging if he's being honest here.

I would be happy with bringing back Davis or signing a Upton/Gordon plus a # 2/# 3 type starter to replace Chen as a starting point. That brings us at least back to where we were in 2015 and then trading for another OFer and signing a # 5 type with some upside for depth could add up to a very successful offseason.

Archived