Duquette talks (Orioles to spend extensive resources in FA)

weams

And I do understand why we sometime will disagree. I respect your knowledge and your contacts and your abilities. As someone still here in the market, I can tell you that the last four years have been the best thing for the this team and it's fan-base. Not the worst. Even if accidental and not the result of a plan.

Oh, I agree it's good/fun. My point was more that there was the makings of a cheap core to build around long term, but it might have meant trading Davis after a monster year and trading Wieters when the value was higher. That just gets you the opportunity to be a long-term contender, though. Nothing guaranteed. I understand fans preferring four years of solid baseball over the hope for six or seven years of solid baseball.

In the end, you still need a machine capable of acquiring and developing if you want to compete long term. Even then, you can still end up Boston or Texas, with embarrassing years at the MLB level.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I agree it's good/fun. My point was more that there was the makings of a cheap core to build around long term, but it might have meant trading Davis after a monster year and trading Wieters when the value was higher. That just gets you the opportunity to be a long-term contender, though. Nothing guaranteed. I understand fans preferring four years of solid baseball over the hope for six or seven years of solid baseball.

In the end, you still need a machine capable of acquiring and developing if you want to compete long term. Even then, you can still end up Boston or Texas, with embarrassing years at the MLB level.

If the players had the seasons that they did and the team still was a 18 season loser, we would be well on our way to having a well stocked farm and the prospects of a great young team for the post Buck years.

I agree. I would never have been comfortable with not offering. No matter the risk. And you could not trade him during the season because he was still broken. It's just a matter of injury here. Not bad planning.

But that's inconsistency in thinking, if that's how the FO viewed this. They have not assigned that level of import to draft picks at any time over the past four years. Just weird.

But that's inconsistency in thinking, if that's how the FO viewed this. They have not assigned that level of import to draft picks at any time over the past four years. Just weird.

I know. They haven't. But if they had traded Johnson a year early, and Adam and Chris at Max value and Tillman after his good year, and Weiters before blowout, and Britton at the trade deadline, and O'Day while we were chasing playoffs again, and not have signed Ubaldo and Cruz, we would be in much better shape. For Manny's final season.

Not even taking into consideration that Bundy should have been someone we were concerned about. Always.

I know. They haven't. But if they had traded Johnson a year early, and Adam and Chris at Max value and Tillman after his good year, and Weiters before blowout, and Britton at the trade deadline, and O'Day while we were chasing playoffs again, and not have signed Ubaldo and Cruz, we would be in much better shape. For Manny's final season.

Not even taking into consideration that Bundy should have been someone we were concerned about. Always.

It's not a matter of absolutes. Making additional moves doesn't require you to trade everyone. Not crazy to think Baltimore could have Jones/Machado/Schoop/Wieters and two more cost-controlled regulars, Gausman and two more cost controlled SPs. That's a heck of a core for a very reasonable price.

It's not a matter of absolutes. Making additional moves doesn't require you to trade everyone. Not crazy to think Baltimore could have Jones/Machado/Schoop/Wieters and two more cost-controlled regulars, Gausman and two more cost controlled SPs. That's a heck of a core for a very reasonable price.

I liked the quality of your buy/sell proposal from last year. And really, the results would be better your way even though the buy part would have ended with the same result that we had. Without the fun until September.

Baltimore could have Jones/Machado/Schoop/Wieters and two more cost-controlled regulars, Gausman and two more cost controlled SPs. That's a heck of a core for a very reasonable price.

I like that core and would like the future had that plan have been executed. Davis would have had to have been traded after 2013. And Tillman after 2014.

Archived