Duquette talks (Orioles to spend extensive resources in FA)

weams

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least they haven't forgotten how to criticize as if we were still losing.

Listen, giving up that much talent as well as the cyborg named Arrieta, is deserving of some criticism. Being a winner has it's cost. Ask Dombrosky and Anthopolis.

I agree. I would never have been comfortable with not offering. No matter the risk. And you could not trade him during the season because he was still broken. It's just a matter of injury here. Not bad planning.

I agreed with you Weams that it was highly unlikely that MW would take the QO. It think if you privately polled GM's across baseball, off the record, given the same situation, most of them would have done the same. MW was a no win deal for DD, he offers and MW takes it, he gets killed. He does not and MW signs even a 3 year deal for around 12-15 million and people kill him for not offering.

I would not be surprised if at the end of the day, the Orioles decided that they would offer MW and if he accepted so be it then our payroll is 15.8 million higher for one year or a little less if we manage to trade him once eligible. For the Orioles and Peter Angelos, 15.8 million is really a drop in the bucket, not saying that 15.8 million has no value but in the grand scheme of things if PA feels that the money is a good investment to keep Buck happy, keep a guy he likes around another year and really requires no risk beyond the one year, maybe PA being a guy who likes those homegrown guys decided, what the hell, I like the kid, worst case its one year lets offer.

Just saying that we all assume that MW taking the QO means the O's won't be able to do what they originally intended. We assume that because we assume that PA is some inflexible Uncle Scrooge who will not budge from his line in the sand budget. All I am saying is that maybe PA has actually enjoyed the past 4 years of competitive baseball. Perhaps he has enjoyed not being viewed as an incompetent owner whose team cannot get its stuff straight. Perhaps he has learned some lessons from the past like we all do. I am as guilty as anyone of blasting PA. I just think we should wait to see what the final tally is before assuming the man won't give DD the resources to compete.

If it turns out that they do not give DD adequate resources to fill the needs, there will be a whole season of bad baseball to gripe about it. As negative as I initially felt about MW coming back, I am gonna choose to stay at least semi-optimistic that the franchise we have seen the past 4 years will not completely turn back into a pumpkin. If they do, like I said, I reserve the right to gripe about it later :)

Could someone compare and contrast his quotes about this offseason and previous offseasons? Is there reason to believe that he might be genuine in suggesting they can bring back CD and add a TOR starter?

Just a note: DD said a TOR starter but explained he meant a #3 or better.

Interesting. What I take away from it is that the Wieters deal is not as big of a factor to the O's offseason strategy. Maybe they are looking at budget over a 3-4 year period, and as long as they are not committed in future years they may be OK going over budget this year for somebody they like.

Could someone compare and contrast his quotes about this offseason and previous offseasons? Is there reason to believe that he might be genuine in suggesting they can bring back CD and add a TOR starter?

This is the first offseason in which he has stated that the team has the resources to compete for top free agents. Every other year he has cautioned fans that they shouldn't expect the O's to sign any of the big free agents. He said that even with Wieters accepting the QO, that the O's have enough to sign CD and a #1, 2, or 3 pitcher. He has never said anything like that before.

I'm not saying anything is different, but what he is saying about it is.

Interesting. What I take away from it is that the Wieters deal is not as big of a factor to the O's offseason strategy. Maybe they are looking at budget over a 3-4 year period, and as long as they are not committed in future years they may be OK going over budget this year for somebody they like.

I'll believe it when I see it. Talk is cheap.

Archived