Duquette talks (Orioles to spend extensive resources in FA)

weams

Is this your usual style of trying to make a point without actually stating that point?

If you are saying that most prospects fail or get injured, fine. It's the organizations job to know which ones to hold onto and which ones to trade. Is that fair?

It's called "evaluating talent". It's important.

Na. I just meant you and I . We're the same most of the time!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing that will convince me that DD is serious (other than actually spending the money) is if they act early. He says this offseason will see teams act quick to shore up their squads and the biggest historical weakness of the Orioles in the offseason is the constant waiting to act while all the good players get signed.

I would be stunned if we actually went out and got some good pitching via FA.

MSK

Is this your usual style of trying to make a point without actually stating that point?

If you are saying that most prospects fail or get injured, fine. It's the organizations job to know which ones to hold onto and which ones to trade. Is that fair?

We both agree. We are both horrified that the guys we held on to were duds. And that the guys that we got rid of are stars. And that the buy/sell proposals of yor would have worked out as poorly as any of our guesses. But you are again right the 30 guys that get paid to know, should know.

Truly, Sometimes I am a huge homer. And sometimes I am very upset. Like I was when we allowed Cruz to go when you and I both knew that we needed his bat so much. It really had me angry. Even though I knew in my heart that signing him to that deal would have hurt down the road.

And it could be that PA's bucket list includes that World Series championship. And as he gets closer to that launching pad that waits for us all, maybe going for it in a big way never yet seen turns out to be what happens. I sure hope so.

I wont go that far but maybe PA would like his final years as owner to be successful ones. There is likely limits to how much he would spend but its not crazy to think that PA does care what his legacy as owner will be and would like people to remember a successful franchise at his end rather than the 14 years of futility.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

You generally can't be a value oriented team and let your studs walk off into free agency unless you draft very very well which in our case, based on the lack of talent in our system is not the case.

OK. Eduardo Rodriguez and Zach Davies.

I was even a bit queasy about Tarpley. Brault never worried me though. Hader, I never thought Hader would hit the 98th percentile thaat he appears headed to. You know I go watch and film and talk to those young arms. So a bit of me dies every time one goes elsewhere.

You generally can't be a value oriented team and let your studs walk off into free agency unless you draft very very well which in our case, based on the lack of talent in our system is not the case.

I think that we may be in for a tough year or two. I hope not. I will still go see them in Florida this spring. If I can afford it. The California trips took precedent this past year. So I blame myself a bit for the .500 record.

I wont go that far but maybe PA would like his final years as owner to be successful ones. There is likely limits to how much he would spend but its not crazy to think that PA does care what his legacy as owner will be and would like people to remember a successful franchise at his end rather than the 14 years of futility.

Adding in 30-40 million to 2014's budget would not in any significant way impact his fortune and could very well burnish his legacy. And if it achieves the goal, it could be recouped by additional revenue that comes from winning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adding in 30-40 million to 2014's budget would not in any significant way impact his fortune and could very well burnish his legacy. And if it achieves the goal, it could be recouped by additional revenue that comes from winning.

I believe this.

But if he chooses instead to burnish his legacy with philanthropic endeavors who are we to criticize?

I think that we may be in for a tough year or two. I hope not. I will still go see them in Florida this spring. If I can afford it. The California trips took precedent this past year. So I blame myself a bit for the .500 record.

My parents have a place in Sarasota so I'll go down again this spring. Not expecting too much excitement around this club.

My parents have a place in Sarasota so I'll go down again this spring. Not expecting too much excitement around this club.

It's always exciting. Except for back before Duquette. Such a shame that Bundy did not work out. Buck runs a very fun spring even if we fade in September.

But if he chooses instead to burnish his legacy with philanthropic endeavors who are we to criticize?

I am. I think that he helps the community far more by improving the mood of the fan base with a good team than ever with the humanitarian ventures. It;s a trickle down thing. Happy people treat one another better. Happy people spend more to put a boost into the local economy. Everything is better in the world when the Orioles are a winning team.

I'd rather he do like my uncle did, and make the major bequests to community and educational improvement upon his death. Of course that would require his assets to be sold.

Archived