Marlins Trade: Thoughts?

weams

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, but a healthy pitcher is probably several multiples as risky as a healthy position player. I would consider Fernandez' health more of a risk than Machado's.

I agree. But 2015 you could be getting a good bit of surplus on the Fernandez/Prado side. Assume Machado and Fernandez are around the same production, Prado is another 2 to 3 wins, depending on how the bat plays in OPACY. Essentially, whatever Prado produces you are getting for a net of $2 MM.

It's not a slam dunk, but it's certainly a starting point. And while riskier, Machado will likely be eight figures in arb for 2017 and 2018. Fernandez maybe gets there by 2018. And if he does, he's well outperformed his low- to mid-seven figure salary for each of 2016 and 2017.

Machado may not be as risky, but you are paying a premium for that.

I'm not trading Manny for a risky SP. I'll wait til net winter and if I cant extend him I'll trade him for somebody's farm system.

Depending on what he gets in arb, you might be trading him for two good prospects and one or two prospects that are a lot further away. And also hoping the Cubs aren't also looking to trade corner bats at a much cheaper price.

Trading Manny is totally out of the question. Are you an Orioles fan?

I think I'd rather have Manny decide if he wants to be a long-term Oriole, by accepting or declining a big extension. I'd probably ride it all the way until he's a free agent, and wring every bit of on-field value out of him until he decides to go elsewhere. But if we're not going to talk hypotheticals here on the Hangout, what are we going to do from November through March?

Depending on what he gets in arb, you might be trading him for two good prospects and one or two prospects that are a lot further away. And also hoping the Cubs aren't also looking to trade corner bats at a much cheaper price.

Cubs don't have any potential HOF's at their corners. Or potential HOF shortstops.

I think I'd rather have Manny decide if he wants to be a long-term Oriole, by accepting or declining a big extension. I'd probably ride it all the way until he's a free agent, and wring every bit of on-field value out of him until he decides to go elsewhere. But if we're not going to talk hypotheticals here on the Hangout, what are we going to do from November through March?

There's always making fun of what Boston, Tampa, Toronto, etc. are doing.

He'd be right there with Trout and Harper. In fact. He still is.

Trout - 38 WAR

Harper - 20 WAR

Machado - 18 WAR

Harper had a bit of the injury bug, too. No reconstructive surgery, but he's missed time. Harper's only three months younger than Machado, too.

Trout - 38 WAR

Harper - 20 WAR

Machado - 18 WAR

Harper had a bit of the injury bug, too. No reconstructive surgery, but he's missed time. Harper's only three months younger than Machado, too.

It's easy to talk about the knees as if there might be degenerative issues. I wondered myself. It appears that they were fixed right and there was no meniscus damage. We got fortunate.

Archived