One Hit Wonders

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh my word. That could possibly be one of the worst outfield alignments ever.

I remember an outfield of Andres Mora, Carlos Lopez, and Benny Ayala. Andres Mora and Carlos Lopez were nicknamed "The Mexican Connection". None of the three were connected to a baseball if one was hit to them in the outfield.

He later made up the worst defensive outfield I've ever seen in a game - Traber in left, Ken Gerhart in center, and Larry Sheets in right.

In '86 they had 34-year-old Fred Lynn and 38-year-old Lee Lacy to augment that alignment. Well, when they weren't on the DL. And by '88 they had Pete Stanicek, who despite being a second baseman trying to play left may have been the best defensive outfielder in the organization because he was the only player on the team you could describe as fast. And, yes, Stanicek may still be on the DL.

Glenn Gulliver. Imagine if 2015 Nick Markakis hit .200 and played third base. In 1982 Gulliver actually hit .200 with no power whatsoever but walked 37 times in 50 games to give him a .363 OBP. He was the guy the O's called up to play third when they moved Cal to short. I once read that was the only time in Earl's entire tenure as manager he plucked someone out of the minors and put him directly in the lineup in mid-season.

The late Jim Hardin, 1968: 18-13, 2.51 ERA, incl. 16 CGs. Injuries prevented him from ever coming close to that level again.

One of my childhood favorites: OF Sam Bowens, 22 homers, 71 RBIs in his rookie year, good defender as well. But batted under .200 all of his remaining five seasons except .210 in '66.

Jimmy Key 1997..

16-10 3.4 ERA

..he retired a year or two later.

Key played with the O's the last two years of a long career during with he was an All Star four times, twice finished second in Cy Young Award voting, and received MVP votes in 2 years. I'm not sure he qualifies as a one-hit wonder.

Key played with the O's the last two years of a long career during with he was an All Star four times, twice finished second in Cy Young Award voting, and received MVP votes in 2 years. I'm not sure he qualifies as a one-hit wonder.

Wasn't the question about as an Oriole player? Otherwise I don't think Nellie Cruz is a one hit wonder either.

I know about his career outside of Baltimore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived