Ji-Man Choi/1B (signed MiL contract)

Richmond Bird 9

O's sign 1B Ji-Man Choi to a minor league deal with a spring training invite. Choi is a S/H who has a .302 lifetime b/a in the minors. Has played games in l/f (38), 3b (4) and c (10-in 2010 only). Does not have power, however steals bases. Has a July 1st opt out.

I see as protection if Walker is traded and or someone who can replaced Parades.

(per Roto-World)

I wonder how his LF defense is? I can't imagine having such a powerless 1B but the OBP is certainly there.

From what I have read, he is strictly a 1b in all aspects of his defense. In the minors, players often play out of position just to get the number of ABs that a team may want to see.

Last full season in 2013, he did hit 18 homers with 9 in 61 games in AA with Jacksonville. He's played partial seasons the last two years so he must have had some physical problems. Looks somewhat interesting. At age 22, putting up an .862 OPS in 61 games in AA, he would have been a talked about Oriole prospect if he had been in our system at the time.

If not for his steroid bust, I'd think his power was a tool.

Last full season in 2013, he did hit 18 homers with 9 in 61 games in AA with Jacksonville. He's played partial seasons the last two years so he must have had some physical problems. Looks somewhat interesting. At age 22, putting up an .862 OPS in 61 games in AA, he would have been a talked about Oriole prospect if he had been in our system at the time.

#25 Mariners prospect in BA Handbook at the time. Converted from catcher (his original position) to 1B during the 2013 season. "Choi fits the second division regular description"

I do like his age and profile.

Although we will be undoubtedly be treated to whining posts from a small minority upon every minor league signing, these types of signings incur no risk. That is why 100% of MLB teams sign these types of transactions every off-season. Every now and then, a team hits the lottery on such a signing.

Archived