Crasnick: O's serious about Mancini as a 1B option

wildcard

No, I was merely pointing out your obvious choice to embolden only the portion of the sentence that mentioned nothing about what people within the organization were thinking. Since, of course, the conversation was about exactly that - what the Orioles are thinking - it seemed a valid point to mention your omission.

I don't necessarily think that Mancini is option 1, or even option 8, but I think that it is definitely gbelievable that serious consideration is being given to him - and other inexpensive options at 1B - given that their is unlikely to be enough money vailable to make serious upgrades at all of the positions in need of upgrading. Similarly, if they do sign Davis or somehow acquire a guy like Freeman at 1B, there it will be hard to find the money for meaningful upgrades elsewhere.

I made bold the part that was directly contradictory to his tweet to show you how he went from one to another, because that is what I was writing about.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry, but he doesn't merely say that Mancini is an option. He says that the Orioles are serious about Mancini as an option. To me, that indicates more that just tweeting the obvious.

I just don't read that much into it. It's not that definitive of a statement, it's not a direct quote of anyone and it's unattributed. But even if Dan Duquette had publicly said, "if we don't sign Davis, we are going to take a serious look at making Trey Mancini our starting first baseman in 2016," I wouldn't be reading that as some sort of message to Davis and his agent, or some indication of the Orioles' likely strategy if we don't re-sign Davis. I'd just take it as the kind of things GM's always say in the offseason.

I don't think he will amount to much if he doesn't acquire some semblance of strike zone control. As I've said before, there aren't many successful major league first baseman with walk rates under 5 percent.

Paul Goldschmidt didn't have to overcome that.

Although Goldy did strike out 161 times in his A+ year. Clearly Trey has to keep progressing and have another major leap this year at AAA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't forget Wieters...
I doubt Wieters sees much time at 1B. However there are many other options besides the ones I mentioned. Alverez trade, Britton for Reed, sign Trumbo, etc. Obviously you didn't get the point of my post. It was about the inability to understand the meaning of the word option.

Archived