Have KNOTT, Want KNOTT

The Azman

Watching Jon Knott in Spring Training and in Tampa the last two days is refreshing.....almost like watching Markakis last year. I'm not saying he will be as good as Nick is but he is a power hitter who looks like a power hitter and plays with energy and adds a spark which we need. His defense is not as good as Nick's but his size and obvious power will make some pitchers think about how they will pitch him. When Payton comes back there will be some platooning and Bynum will not be needed. Bynum has done a pretty nice job considering his lack of success previously.

What will Crowley do to take Knott to the next level? or maybe he won't have to do anything. He looks like he knows the strike zone and does not waste any swings.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Knott scored 2 runs and had an RBI vs. the DRays with a lefty on the mound. 2 runs proved to be a difference, so without Knott, we wouldn't have beaten Kazmir, a tough lefty. Bynum's only use to this team when Payton comes back is to PR and Gomez and Patterson (when he is on the bench) can handle those duties.
I would love for them to keep Knott, I would prefer him at DH to Huff. He hits LHP and RHP better than Huff, Millar, and Gibbons. But they aren't or can't get rid of one of those guys. With Knott you can't PH for either Payton or Patterson late, certainly not both because you have no one to replace them defensively unless you move Markakis to CF or endure Gibbons/Millar in LF late. Also you have no PR options as well as no emergency defensive replacements in the event of multiple injuries. I'm not saying these reasons outweigh keeping Knott for his bat, just that these are the reasons that would be sighted for keepping Bynum. Also to give him his due he has been productive off the bench in limited appearences so far and has better ML numbers than Knott.

With Knott you can't PH for either Payton or Patterson late.

The only reason to PH for Patterson would be facing a tough lefty reliever and then you would go to Knott with Payton moving to CF. I can't think of a scenario when you would PH for Payton unless it's a righty that he stinks against and then you can put Millar or Gibbons in.

Also you have no PR options as well as no emergency defensive replacements in the event of multiple injuries.

Is this Perlozzo talking - why should we carry Bynum in case of an emergency? Don't forget we'd have Millar or Gibbons on the bench and Gomez. We could always lose the DH for a game if we had to, but I don't see that happening. Gomez can PR. There is no reason to keep Bynum on the team over Knott for an emergency.

Also to give him his due he has been productive off the bench in limited appearences so far and has better ML numbers than Knott.

Knott has 3 hits in 4 ABs and a BB, Bynum has 3 hits in 13 ABs and 4 K's. Who has the better #'s? If you are talking career, Knott never had a chance to play in SD's outfield. I bet given the chance he'd be able to equal Bynum's #'s minus the SBs quite easily...

The only reason to PH for Patterson would be facing a tough lefty reliever and then you would go to Knott with Payton moving to CF. I can't think of a scenario when you would PH for Payton unless it's a righty that he stinks against and then you can put Millar or Gibbons in.

Is this Perlozzo talking - why should we carry Bynum in case of an emergency? Don't forget we'd have Millar or Gibbons on the bench and Gomez. We could always lose the DH for a game if we had to, but I don't see that happening. Gomez can PR. There is no reason to keep Bynum on the team over Knott for an emergency.

Knott has 3 hits in 4 ABs and a BB, Bynum has 3 hits in 13 ABs and 4 K's. Who has the better #'s? If you are talking career, Knott never had a chance to play in SD's outfield. I bet given the chance he'd be able to equal Bynum's #'s minus the SBs quite easily...

If you would read my post carefully you would see I am merely offering reasons why they would keep Bynum not advocating them. In a game where you PH for CPat or Payton it's likely close and you do not want Gibbons and or Mllar in for defense. Gomez is a poor pinch running option. If you have multiple injuries to IF's you are sorely pressed for the rest of the of the game. Bynum has more ML experience and has put up better numbers in a utility role. Knott's MiL numbers are a result of being an every day player and do not necessarrly translate to an off the bench role.

How about we keep Knott and send Gibbons to the Royals(anyone) for a draft pick or prospect? We need the righty bat and Knott has a lot of upside. Gibby is what he is...a borderline ML player.

There are so many things wrong with this.

1) you cant trade for draft picks

2) Gibbons is more than a borderline player, Alberto Castillo is a borderline player

3) Royals dont need Gibbons, period

There are so many things wrong with this.

1) you cant trade for draft picks

2) Gibbons is more than a borderline player, Alberto Castillo is a borderline player

3) Royals dont need Gibbons, period

Uh...if Gibbons is MORE than a borderline player, how is it that KC doesn't need him???! Last time I checked, they needed any help they could get pretending to be major league talent...

If I can't have draft picks, I'll take a can of sardines to be named later :)

Uh...if Gibbons is MORE than a borderline player, how is it that KC doesn't need him???! Last time I checked, they needed any help they could get pretending to be major league talent...

If I can't have draft picks, I'll take a can of sardines to be named later :)

The Royals have very good offensive talent and have a guy in Billy Butler, who is probably a DH, coming up in the minors and he is probably better than Gibbons right now.

The burning question: Will the O's "Waste Knott", or "Want Knott?"

The lineup today gives me a little hope that the O's will do the right thing. Both Gomez and Knott played, while Gibbons and Huff sat down. I actually think that's the most platooning I've ever seen Perlozzo do. And it definitely worked out--without Gomez and Knott in the lineup, the O's lose the game. This is one case where I hope Perlozzo overreacts to good results in small samples and becomes a convert to exploiting the platoon advantage.

The burning question: Will the O's "Waste Knott", or "Want Knott?"

The lineup today gives me a little hope that the O's will do the right thing. Both Gomez and Knott played, while Gibbons and Huff sat down. I actually think that's the most platooning I've ever seen Perlozzo do. And it definitely worked out--without Gomez and Knott in the lineup, the O's lose the game. This is one case where I hope Perlozzo overreacts to good results in small samples and becomes a convert to exploiting the platoon advantage.

The question is...Did Perlozzo do this because he wanted to beat a lefty or did he do it because it was a day game after a night game and he wanted to give guys a day off?

It was so weird seeing someone that huge in LF today. Not only that, but field the position professionally. It just didn't seem right. Seriously, Knott might have the most power of anyone on the team right now.

The question is...Did Perlozzo do this because he wanted to beat a lefty or did he do it because it was a day game after a night game and he wanted to give guys a day off?
I suspect he benched Huff because he is clearly struggling against LHP and Gibbons has poor numbers against Kazmir.

He has played Gomez aT 1B before against LHP and Millar his other 1B option is seeing the ball well. I'm afraid we won't see Knott remain on the team until Millar/Gibbins are clearly struggling against LHP and we can afford to drop a long RP or Bynum.

Not to rain on any parades but Fiorentino started his big league career off something like 7-7.

Some others might remember certain rookie catcher named Dan Graham who made quite a splash to.

That being said, Knott is still better than Bynum. Not sure he is the second coming though.

Archived