Have KNOTT, Want KNOTT

The Azman

This front office and Perlozzo have to go. We need to get baseball minds in here who understand the game.

We had a chance of being a much improved team against left handers and we squander it.

Bynum staying on the team is beyond foolish. Who will he be a defensive replacement for? Why do we have bynum and Gomez on the team one would be enough. Knott's bat would be much more useful than Bynum's speed in late game situations.

i was feeling alot better about our team with Knott on it, now i feel like i did earlier and for the last several years. We are a joke of a franchise.

Nice post. Knott actually addresses an identified problem that this team has had over the last few years. I thought that's what teams that try to improve do....but what do I know???:rolleyes:

For some reason, I kind of like Bynum, but would rather see him being a super-utility guy at Norfolk. Knott has put up the numbers that should have him in the lineup ANYTIME we play a lefty. He and Payton should be playing LF and CF in all of those situations.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't work at the Warehouse, but this is my guess as to their thinking:

Payton not at 100% means Gibbons still gets most LF starts. Bynum still your late inning defensive rpl. there.

Still not sure about starters ability to get into late innings. Need that extra man in bullpen.

Have tried to get Bynum through waivers, but looked like he would be claimed. He's out of options, Knott isn't.

Can't find a trade partner for Bynum yet.

OK, whatever...if that's what they think, that's what they think, and there's nothing we can do about it, except hope that something happens to return Knott to his rightful place in Baltimore.

This front office and Perlozzo have to go. We need to get baseball minds in here who understand the game.

We had a chance of being a much improved team against left handers and we squander it.

Bynum staying on the team is beyond foolish. Who will he be a defensive replacement for? Why do we have bynum and Gomez on the team one would be enough. Knott's bat would be much more useful than Bynum's speed in late game situations.

i was feeling alot better about our team with Knott on it, now i feel like i did earlier and for the last several years. We are a joke of a franchise.

It's a bad decision to my mind but not an earth shattering make or break one. I think it's 60/40 Knott over Bynum. Until Millar Gibbons and Huff show me they can't get the job done I have to go with them. Right now Huff is the only one I question? Knott's role on the team is not the same as Bynum's, they are not in competion. Would you DFA Huff in leau of Knott. I think Knott is better than Huff but I think few here would be willing to do that. Knott's role on this team is similar to that of Millar, Gibbons or Huff.

It's a bad decision to my mind but not an earth shattering make or break one. I think it's 60/40 Knott over Bynum. Until Millar Gibbons and Huff show me they can't get the job done I have to go with them. Right now Huff is the only one I question? Knott's role on the team is not the same as Bynum's, they are not in competion. Would you DFA Huff in leau of Knott. I think Knott is better than Huff but I think few here would be willing to do that. Knott's role on this team is similar to that of Millar, Gibbons or Huff.

I believe that you are suppose to put the team that gives you the best shot of winning. I think we are a much better team with Knott than Bynum.

Bynum and Gomez are similar players in that they are utility players. Gomez can play the positions that bynum can play except for center field. With payton and patterson both on the roster center field should not be an issue.

Bynum has a speed advantage but i think a better right handed bat to have available is much more important than speed. It really is an issue of how you use your 25th man.

My main case for keeping Knott is his ability to hit left handers. In games where you face a lefty starter you have to put your best lineup out there against them.

ROBERTS

MORA

MARKAKIS

TEJADA

MILLAR dh

KNOTT LF

PAYTON CF

GOMEZ 1b

CASTILLO C

Then you have Gibbons Huff Patterson all available off the bench. Gibbons and Huff can pinch hit and patterson can pinch run or be a late defensive replacement for payton with payton moving to left and knott coming out.

against rightys you go

ROBERTS

MORA

MARKAKIS

TEJADA

HUFF 1B

MILLAR DH

GIBBONS LF

PATTERSON CF

BAKO C

Then you have payton, Knott, and Gomez available. Knott and Payton can be used to pinch hit for patterson and gibbons against tough left handed relievers in key situations.

Why do you think Knott is better than Huff but not Gibbons or Millar? Because of the slow start? I believe the guy is our third or fourth best hitter. He'll heat up in due time.

I also think Knott IS actually competing with Bynum. Its a matter of priorities for them. Do they want the fast, versatile player who can't really hit or the power right handed bat who can be used to platoon, pinch hit, and play average/below average at the corner spots and 1b?

He would fit in perfectly with Gibbons, Huff, and Millar because he is the only one of those guys who can hit left handers with good success. He allows us to maximize the talents of those players...match-up and platoon and take advantage of late game situations by forcing a lefty reliever to pitch to a right handed bat or vice versa. We aren't maximizing the talent on this roster. Its a stupid move and and there is no way to justify it. Basherman gave the best explanation for why Bynum might possibly be on the roster, but even that is pushing it.

Gutsy post.

Sometimes I think we might be giving Sam and others too much credit in terms of how sophisticated their reasoning is in regards to the whole bench situation. Could it be that in Sam's mind, without Payton, Bynum is the only player that can play center to an acceptable level? The fact that he can pinch run at times might be just a nice bonus given Sam's logic.

Maybe if Payton proves to recover fully from his hamstring, Bynum will seem more expendable to Sam. If not, he's just going to waste a roster spot more than ever- almost like a utility version of a 3rd catcher... Just in case, I have ________ so I don't have to look bad if...:rolleyes:

I wish I were in the Manager's office when Sam, Mike and Jim told Knott he was going back down. Were they all present?

If I were Knott I would have engaged them in a staredown and said flat out....why? I am not a rookie. I have played for awhile and can hit with power. I do pretty good against lefthanders and righthanders. I thought that was what you wanted? I have a Master's Degree in business and this is not what I learned at Mississippi State. Is this how you run a business?

We should have had Knott play in at least 5-10 games to try to get a feel for how he would do. 3-4 in two games with a home run and 4 RBI'S was great. I think good things are ahead for him.

Did anyone notice that Duquette was in Tampa. Do one of the GM's have to go on the road with the team? Was he talking trade with Tampa about Crawford or Baldelli? I think Tampa has enough hitting they can afford to trade either of them for pitching. They will give everyone trouble this season and if they add some pitching they will be tough to beat.

I wish I were in the Manager's office when Sam, Mike and Jim told Knott he was going back down. Were they all present?

If I were Knott I would have engaged them in a staredown and said flat out....why? I am not a rookie. I have played for awhile and can hit with power. I do pretty good against lefthanders and righthanders. I thought that was what you wanted? I have a Master's Degree in business and this is not what I learned at Mississippi State. Is this how you run a business?

We should have had Knott play in at least 5-10 games to try to get a feel for how he would do. 3-4 in two games with a home run and 4 RBI'S was great. I think good things are ahead for him.

Did anyone notice that Duquette was in Tampa. Do one of the GM's have to go on the road with the team? Was he talking trade with Tampa about Crawford or Baldelli? I think Tampa has enough hitting they can afford to trade either of them for pitching. They will give everyone trouble this season and if they add some pitching they will be tough to beat.

The simple answer in my opinion is, Knott has an option, Bynum does not. I don't agree with him going down, but I'll bet you that is the reason and no complaining to the FO from Knott would do a darn thing to help his case.

The simple answer in my opinion is, Knott has an option, Bynum does not. I don't agree with him going down, but I'll bet you that is the reason and no complaining to the FO from Knott would do a darn thing to help his case.

But who cares if Bynum has an option? He and Brandon Fahey are redundant organizational players and if you have to call one up to the majors and use him short-term you're better off with Fahey because he's not going to give you the frequent mental mistakes. Let him go!

But who cares if Bynum has an option? He and Brandon Fahey are redundant organizational players and if you have to call one up to the majors and use him short-term you're better off with Fahey because he's not going to give you the frequent mental mistakes. Let him go!

Exactly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...this organization holds onto players for the sake of holding onto them. They'd rather make a stupid roster move instead of making the smart one even if it costs them a player.

If it were someone like...Josh Hamilton, I'd understand. But the chances of Bynum catching on somewhere else and turning into Willie Mays are slim to none.

Whatever.

Archived